Author Topic: Adding Algo 8186 Horn to a paging group  (Read 1487 times)

Offline LakesideLion

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Adding Algo 8186 Horn to a paging group
« on: February 10, 2023, 02:19:34 PM »
Our school bought some Algo 8186 IP Horns to use paging horns for lockdown notification.   I added them as a generic SIP device and gave each of them an extension.  So I can call and page each of them individually.  The problem is I can't add the extensions to our current paging groups because apparently these devices aren't "compatible".   Is there a different device type to select or is there a way to configure the Algo horn so the Mitel box think it's a voip phone that can add to a paging group?

Anyone else add Algo IP horns to your phone system?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Adding Algo 8186 Horn to a paging group
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 03:07:11 PM »
We sell the Algo line for out hosted platform, so I am very familiar with them... Tried many times, never found a solution to use them as part of a page group on the 3300... Need to use a IP Page adapter or a "hack-a-phone" to get them into a page group, only solution I have found.

Offline LakesideLion

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 04:00:26 PM »
We sell the Algo line for out hosted platform, so I am very familiar with them... Tried many times, never found a solution to use them as part of a page group on the 3300... Need to use a IP Page adapter or a "hack-a-phone" to get them into a page group, only solution I have found.

Thanks very much for the info.  Just curious about the hack-a-phone method.  If we were to hack an Mitel 5330 IP Phone and connect it to a 15W or 30W speaker, does it put out enough volume that can be heard about 45 - 50 feet away?

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 05:23:48 PM »
iStream shows they have refurbished 5485's in stock for $300. Still would need to connect the output to an amp, but less messy than disassembling a phone.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 11:44:25 AM »

Thanks very much for the info.  Just curious about the hack-a-phone method.  If we were to hack an Mitel 5330 IP Phone and connect it to a 15W or 30W speaker, does it put out enough volume that can be heard about 45 - 50 feet away?
Not by itself... You take the output for the phone's internal speaker and wire it to the audio input of an amp (may require impedance matching transformer) or to something like a Valcom self-amplified speaker.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 11:49:15 AM by acejavelin »

Offline LakesideLion

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 11:22:52 AM »
Thanks everyone who responded.  I ended up finding a way to do it by wiring a Mitel paging unit to an Algo page adapter.  Now effectively I have Algo horns in a Mitel paging group.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10