Author Topic: IP phone firmware upgrade question  (Read 1450 times)

Offline BruceJones

• View Profile
IP phone firmware upgrade question
« on: January 25, 2023, 08:21:23 PM »
We have MXe lll with E2T card and lots of IP phone.
We are planning to perform software upgrade, when the software upgrade is done and some phones are still upgrading the firmware, can I do upgradebootrom all command and reboot while some phones are still in the process of firmware upgrade?
Or I have to wait until all phones finished upgrading firmware then do upgradebootrom all command then reboot?

Thank you

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: IP phone firmware upgrade question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 08:39:24 AM »
The phones will automatically grab the firmware if they are pointed to the MXe in DHCP for tftp_srv. Regardless of where your firmware lives tftp servers can only support so many simultaneous connections so my advice would be to wait.

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 09:33:18 AM »
If the MXE III is the TFTP server (check your DHCP options to see what the "tftp_srv" address is), the limit is 300 phones at a time will download firmware, the rest will wait. You might want to wait for all of the phones to update firmware before issuing the bootrom upgrade and rebooting, as if you reboot while phones are in the middle of their firmware update, you might brick them.

Offline Dogbreath

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 09:08:38 AM »
Surely the only way the handsets would be bricked is if they lost power during the flash write sequence? As the OP doesn't have an 'i' series controller then the handsets can't be powered from it, so rebooting the controller won't affect power to the handsets.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 10:29:02 AM »
Surely the only way the handsets would be bricked is if they lost power during the flash write sequence? As the OP doesn't have an 'i' series controller then the handsets can't be powered from it, so rebooting the controller won't affect power to the handsets.
This is true... even if the controller is rebooted, it won't brick the phones... They don't actually erase and reflash the firmware until the download is completed. The worst that will happen is the download fails and the phone reboots and tries again.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10