Author Topic: T1 TDM PRI migration  (Read 1569 times)

Offline ^_p

• View Profile
T1 TDM PRI migration
« on: September 09, 2022, 03:13:38 PM »
I have a customer with a 5000 HX controller, and the phone vendor is discontinuing the T1 copper lines in favor of digital. A brief search online comes up with a number of other folks online dealing with similar scenarios,
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/307268-pri-handoff
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/478639-t1-with-pri-to-fiber-sip
I'm an IT guy, not a phone guy so my question is, is it possible to get the fiber to work with the 5000 HX controller? From the links above it appears that if I can get a PRI handoff, that it should work, but some posts here say that the Mitel equipment will work with only T1 or ISDN lines.
http://mitelforums.com/forum/index.php/topic,4554.msg19480.html#msg19480
http://mitelforums.com/forum/index.php/topic,4740.msg20488.html

Can anyone clarify?
Is there a particular way I need to configure the new connection?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: T1 TDM PRI migration
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 03:55:10 PM »
^_p,

Well, I hate to say this, but T-1 is digital already.

That being said I realize you are not a telephony person so I will try to make this as simple as possible.

1. T-1/PRI is connected through a digital interface on the MiVO-250 with either a single or dual T1/E1 card.
2. It doesn't matter how the calls get to the building, but it does need to be converted to an ISDN connection; in this case T1/PRI.
3. Most carriers in the Midwest use a Cisco IAD to take the Fiber connection and convert the SIP traffic to ISDN traffic and put it out on a T1/PRI interface.

That is a really simple breakdown, and not totally accurate, but this process happens all of the time now since carriers are moving away from the legacy infrastructure and onto fiber.

Thanks,

TE 

Offline ^_p

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 11:38:40 AM »
3. Most carriers in the Midwest use a Cisco IAD to take the Fiber connection and convert the SIP traffic to ISDN traffic and put it out on a T1/PRI interface.
Something like this is what I suspected. Thank you for breaking it down.

If I can trouble the forum for one other question (not sure if I should make a separate post), I want to have backup hardware for the HX 5000, in case there is a fire, flood, or theft (you might laugh, but true story: there is an HVAC unit above the network closet where the Mitel is stored, and due to the pvc drain of the roof HVAC getting flooded, the ducts started to leak moisture from the evaporation coils right onto the server racks. The Mitel actually got water on it, and shut off, but due to good water egress design on the case there was no permanent damage. Lesson: don't put a server rack in a room right below an hvac unit, and never build a case where water can drip down from above into the chassis).

So I bought a surplus HX 5000 with the same cards in the hopes of being able to factory reset, swap the compact flash, and then upload the backup db onto the new box. But I see some posts here mentioning that the box might be password locked. I haven't been able to investigate yet, but is what I'm doing feasible?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 02:35:53 PM »
^_p,

Just swap out the Compact Flash and follow the prompts on the display and the system will come back up with no issues.

Always keep a backup though in case the DB becomes corrupted for some reason.

The system uses the Hardware ID (HWID) from the compact flash to link it with your licensing so you can't use a different Compact Flash without a vendor changing the HWID on the AMC and downloading the new licensing.

You other options is to get another compact flash with the exact same licensing and just keep the databases updated between the two systems and then just put the new system on the network when needed.

Thanks,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10