Author Topic: Mitel Dial by Name  (Read 4416 times)

Offline tovythomas

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Mitel Dial by Name
« on: April 25, 2022, 07:27:15 AM »
I have a Mitel 5000 system (actually 2 - 1 at 2 different locations that are interconnected for inter-office dialing) .  I had a user in one of the offices that has been gone for a while and replaced by a different user. I had deleted the voicemail and edited the user and the standard voicemail box worked as expected.  However, it came up recently that if calling into the auto-attendant and then spelling the user's name or extension, it kept coming back to the old users name.

I went ahead and deleted the extension as a phone/mailbox/user completely. I then recreated it as a phantom extension since all it does is forward to a person's home phone. I no longer get the previous user's greeting (small blessings) but now I get "The number entered is not valid" if I try the extension from the auto attendant. I tried comparing the flags and system forwarding to a user that works but can't get past that invalid message option.

If I try the dial by name , it doesn't pick up the user's name either, it finds the users on either side of her. I have validated that her mailbox and appropriate greetings are setup as I called into the voicemail system and checked them myself (first to admit if I missed something).

I tried restarting the phone system as well with no change.

Any advice is appreciated.  I will say, I'm no expert and this was previously setup by a 3rd party vendor that we don't currently have a support contract with otherwise I would go in that direction.

Offline NEPhoneGuy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel Dial by Name
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 10:51:55 AM »
Hi -

The DBN feature takes the spelling of the users name on the mailbox and plays the name recorded by the user on the box. In the original case, the box likely had the correct greeting but the name was the old user. In the current setup, you will need a mailbox for the user to have name and greeting associated with.

Offline tovythomas

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 01:52:38 PM »
Thanks, i thought the same which is why i fully deleted it and recreated it. So the mailbox and user are associated with the new greeting established. However, when i dial the auto-attendant it says invalid extension now.

Hi -

The DBN feature takes the spelling of the users name on the mailbox and plays the name recorded by the user on the box. In the original case, the box likely had the correct greeting but the name was the old user. In the current setup, you will need a mailbox for the user to have name and greeting associated with.

Offline NEPhoneGuy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 05:07:01 PM »
Thanks, i thought the same which is why i fully deleted it and recreated it. So the mailbox and user are associated with the new greeting established. However, when i dial the auto-attendant it says invalid extension now.

Hi -

Is the extension the part of the same dial plan as the working extensions? Starts with 1 or 2, etc.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 05:10:32 PM »
Is it on the same node as the auto attendant?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 02:01:43 PM »
tovythomas,

The problem could be a couple of things.

1. You don't have a Mailbox or Extension ID on the Voice Processor that the Auto Attendant is associated with. Since this is a DEE that is just going out to a phone number then you just need an Extension ID as it won't take a message.
2. Your system isn't synchronizing between the systems properly as it still has the old programming in the other system.

Whenever you delete a person it is best practice to force a synchronize to the other node to make sure it is removed prior to recreating it again. If the secondary system still has the programming in there it will conflict with the newly created extension and it won't be synchronized any longer.

Thanks,

TE

Offline tovythomas

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 04:21:03 PM »
How do I force a synchronize if that is the issue ? The initial extension is on our Florida system but the auto attendant is from our Ohio system so that may make sense. I had tried rebooting the Ohio system today (did Florida last week) as i thought the same about a sync but didn't know for sure.

tovythomas,

The problem could be a couple of things.

1. You don't have a Mailbox or Extension ID on the Voice Processor that the Auto Attendant is associated with. Since this is a DEE that is just going out to a phone number then you just need an Extension ID as it won't take a message.
2. Your system isn't synchronizing between the systems properly as it still has the old programming in the other system.

Whenever you delete a person it is best practice to force a synchronize to the other node to make sure it is removed prior to recreating it again. If the secondary system still has the programming in there it will conflict with the newly created extension and it won't be synchronized any longer.

Thanks,

TE

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2022, 10:02:20 AM »
tovythomas,

It is under the Operations and it is called Import/Export Devices or something along those lines; I haven't been in a DB in awhile.

Anyway, if it is a conflict you will need to resolve it before performing the Import/Export.

The system that you created it in should be fine, but the system you are exporting to will need to have the offending device deleted manually first.

You should be able to go in to the others DB and find the extension and mailbox information; you may need to use Online Monitor.

If you need more detailed instructions then just ask and I will try to get in to a networked system so I can see the actual naming conventions; although it isn't hard.

Thanks,

TE

Offline tovythomas

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 01:44:09 PM »
Thanks, I do see the Export/Import option but a little confused as to what to do. The box shows a remote note and a bunch of options and then import/export. I want to make sure I don't overwrite something I shouldn't.

I do want to clarify in case I'm stating things wrong. All of the mailboxes/users don't show up in both Systems currently, they only show up in the system they are setup in and the voicemail boxes are local to the phone system the user is setup in.

If you call the Florida main line, the number is pointing to a STAR off-node device which is the Ohio main star greeting so they are sharing that application.

tovythomas,

It is under the Operations and it is called Import/Export Devices or something along those lines; I haven't been in a DB in awhile.

Anyway, if it is a conflict you will need to resolve it before performing the Import/Export.

The system that you created it in should be fine, but the system you are exporting to will need to have the offending device deleted manually first.

You should be able to go in to the others DB and find the extension and mailbox information; you may need to use Online Monitor.

If you need more detailed instructions then just ask and I will try to get in to a networked system so I can see the actual naming conventions; although it isn't hard.

Thanks,

TE

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 12:23:40 PM »
tovythomas,

It is rather simple once you understand what it is asking of you.

You pick the node or nodes you want work with and then you pick the direction the information is coming from; Import or Export.

If you Import from them you are asking them for what is in their DB and when you Export to them you are telling them what is in your DB.

You would be doing this in both directions, but make sure to Import after you Export to the remote nodes to save you some time.

The thing that throws most people the first time is that when it performs an Import it will close down DB programming as the information is being updating in the system; this is normal operation.

As for the mailboxes they do technically show up in the other DB, but you are not able to see them in the normal view. The only time they won't show up in the other nodes DB is if you are using the same numbering plan which causes a conflict and therefore it won't accept the data.

So, calls come in to a STAR on the Ohio MiVO-250 for both sites, but does the call eventually end up in a Florida AA or CRA or only to an Ohio AA or CRA? Keep in mind the STAR doesn't answer the call but routes it based on Time, Date, Day and Mode to another Voice Processor Application.

If they are making their selection within the Ohio AA/CRA for a device on the Florida MiVO-250 then you would need to have an Extension ID on the Ohio MiVO-250 to make that transfer or you will get, "The number entered is not valid" as it doesn't exist on the Ohio MiVO-250. If that is the case then just make sure to shut off the Auto-Attendant Transfer Prompt on the Extension-ID created for the remote phone so they don't hear the transfer prompt.

Thanks,

TE

Offline tovythomas

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 01:01:55 PM »
Thanks TE, I appreciate all the help. From what I can tell, the call goes to the Ohio Star i mentioned which routes to a M-F CRA 2507 (2504 off hours).  That CRA zeroes out to a different CRA on Timeout which is 2513 . It appears it all stays in the Ohio system until the extension is picked which I can only believe is going back to the florida system but i can't tell. I ran the call activity and it only showed me the call coming into the 2507 CRA.

I did find the Remote Extension ID's on the Ohio system and added the extension from florida that was missing . That fixed the extension not valid issue which is awesome so much thanks.

Now, I still need to figure out why that user's mailbox doesn't come up in the dial by name directory. The user has a last name of N so it starts with the M's which i would expect but jumps to O. I had validated with the user that the mailbox and primary and name greeting were both set.

Did i miss another step or need to do something else ? I checked the Maiboxes in Ohio and there is a remote section but no mailboxes listed which i thought was correct as the mailboxes stayed local (they used 2600 to access voicemail in FL, while we used 2500)

tovythomas,

It is rather simple once you understand what it is asking of you.

You pick the node or nodes you want work with and then you pick the direction the information is coming from; Import or Export.

If you Import from them you are asking them for what is in their DB and when you Export to them you are telling them what is in your DB.

You would be doing this in both directions, but make sure to Import after you Export to the remote nodes to save you some time.

The thing that throws most people the first time is that when it performs an Import it will close down DB programming as the information is being updating in the system; this is normal operation.

As for the mailboxes they do technically show up in the other DB, but you are not able to see them in the normal view. The only time they won't show up in the other nodes DB is if you are using the same numbering plan which causes a conflict and therefore it won't accept the data.

So, calls come in to a STAR on the Ohio MiVO-250 for both sites, but does the call eventually end up in a Florida AA or CRA or only to an Ohio AA or CRA? Keep in mind the STAR doesn't answer the call but routes it based on Time, Date, Day and Mode to another Voice Processor Application.

If they are making their selection within the Ohio AA/CRA for a device on the Florida MiVO-250 then you would need to have an Extension ID on the Ohio MiVO-250 to make that transfer or you will get, "The number entered is not valid" as it doesn't exist on the Ohio MiVO-250. If that is the case then just make sure to shut off the Auto-Attendant Transfer Prompt on the Extension-ID created for the remote phone so they don't hear the transfer prompt.

Thanks,

TE

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2022, 06:01:43 PM »
tovythomas,

Well, if it is working with the Extension ID in Ohio then that is where it would get the Dial-By-Name from.

An Extension ID is the same as a Mailbox with the exception that it doesn't take Voice Mail Messages.

So, the Extension ID would need to have the Last Name, First Name setup on it just like a mailbox and that is how the person is found in the Dial-By-Name Directory within the Ohio Voice Processor.

If you want to use that then you will need to have the person setup the Extension ID Name which is the same as how you would do it on a Mailbox.

It would be easier to just send them to a Dial-By-Name within the Florida system for the Florida users, but I don't really know how all of your Call Flows work or the design choices behind them.

Thanks

TE

Offline tovythomas

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 10:36:23 AM »
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm a little confused (mostly because i'm just not good with this) and will try and look through it based on your notes . It was originally setup i believe with one auto-attendant because the Florida office is only a handful of users and had no receptionist like Ohio. However we went to the auto-attendant as the primary anyway so all calls hit it and then a general mailbox if no answer.

The Florida users have direct dials so i assume the mailboxes were kept down there since the call would come into that Mitel 5000 down there for the number and then drop the vm in their florida mailboxes.

So my thought was that the FL main number forwarded to the Ohio Auto Attendant and as you said found the user but then on no answer would go back to the appropriate voicemail. 

I already had the user create their mailbox greetings under a mailbox associated with x7203 (which is a phantom) but it doesn't hit there. If i look in the ohio system I can see the remote extension showing 7203 but i don't understand how you would setup the greeting  On the extension ID screen, it shows last/first under Description but I wouldn't know how to change the greetings since x7203 would already be set right ?

tovythomas,

Well, if it is working with the Extension ID in Ohio then that is where it would get the Dial-By-Name from.

An Extension ID is the same as a Mailbox with the exception that it doesn't take Voice Mail Messages.

So, the Extension ID would need to have the Last Name, First Name setup on it just like a mailbox and that is how the person is found in the Dial-By-Name Directory within the Ohio Voice Processor.

If you want to use that then you will need to have the person setup the Extension ID Name which is the same as how you would do it on a Mailbox.

It would be easier to just send them to a Dial-By-Name within the Florida system for the Florida users, but I don't really know how all of your Call Flows work or the design choices behind them.

Thanks

TE

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2022, 05:42:46 PM »
tovythomas,

If there is only the one AA then most likely you have centralized your VM within the Ohio office too; just a guess.

This would mean that you don't setup mailboxes on the Florida site, but the on the Ohio site after you created the extension and Exported it to Ohio.

The only way for me to be sure is to see your DB though, but the easiest thing to look for is if there is a Message Notification Application in the Florida Voice Processor Applications.

If there isn't a Message Notification Application there then all of your Voice Mail messages would be coming out of the Ohio site which means you have it setup wrong for this user and it is causing your problems now.

If there is a message notification there then it would be easier for me to answer your question quickly if I could see both of the DB's.

If you just want an answer to how to setup the Extension ID within the Ohio DB then give the user the extension to the Ohio Voice Processor and they would set it up the same way they do their normal mailbox; it just doesn't take messages.

However, do not post your DB within the forum please, but send me a PM and we will work something out.

Thanks,

TE

Offline tovythomas

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2022, 07:39:19 AM »
Thanks, I'll send you a PM but here is a screenshot of the applications on the Florida system .  If you are willing to look at the DB's, I'd appreciate it.

tovythomas,

If there is only the one AA then most likely you have centralized your VM within the Ohio office too; just a guess.

This would mean that you don't setup mailboxes on the Florida site, but the on the Ohio site after you created the extension and Exported it to Ohio.

The only way for me to be sure is to see your DB though, but the easiest thing to look for is if there is a Message Notification Application in the Florida Voice Processor Applications.

If there isn't a Message Notification Application there then all of your Voice Mail messages would be coming out of the Ohio site which means you have it setup wrong for this user and it is causing your problems now.

If there is a message notification there then it would be easier for me to answer your question quickly if I could see both of the DB's.

If you just want an answer to how to setup the Extension ID within the Ohio DB then give the user the extension to the Ohio Voice Processor and they would set it up the same way they do their normal mailbox; it just doesn't take messages.

However, do not post your DB within the forum please, but send me a PM and we will work something out.

Thanks,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10