Author Topic: "Deleting" Digital Phone From 250 Programming  (Read 2230 times)

Offline apope

• Contributer
    • View Profile
"Deleting" Digital Phone From 250 Programming
« on: January 27, 2022, 09:59:32 AM »
How do you remove a digital phone from the 250 programming? When you right-click on it you do not have an option like you do with and IP phone. Does the line have to be disconnected at the source for that?

We have many unused lines that we could remove that would make the system look a lot cleaner without them in there. Thanks for your help!

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: "Deleting" Digital Phone From 250 Programming
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 10:16:38 AM »
apope,

Unlike an IP Phone a Digital Phone has a PLID [Physical Line ID] that is associated with a port on a Digital Card [DEM or DDM]. Understanding the PLID is your key to success at this point if you want to remove the port completely from the system.

When you look at the Phones section you will see an Address column to the far right; this is the PLID. The way it works is as follows.

Let's say you had the following PLID 01:02:03:01
The first 01 is the Base Controller
The second entry 02 is the card slot within the Base Controller, but this isn't as straight forward as you might think depending on your Base Controller and whether or not you have a DEI or not. The Card Slots on the DEIs are not sequential from the last known card slot on the previous cabinet; good luck.
The third entry 03 is the port on the Digital Card in slot 02
The fourth entry is only used if the Digital Port is configured with a second circuit like an Modem Data Port Module [MDPM].

Now, since you want to clean up the DB there are a couple of things you can do here.
1. Change the name of the unused Digital Port to, "~Station Undefined" use the ~ as it stops users from finding it in the Directory.

2. Set the Port on the Digital Card to None. All card assignments are under System > Controller and possibly System > Controller > Digital Expansion Interface > Interface # > Card Slot #. Personally, if I were you I would just leave the port be and relabel it if you are not a certified technician.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 12:15:13 PM »
There is no valid reason to delete digital phones.

Offline apope

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 12:22:47 PM »
DND ON,
What would be the reason for keeping them? In my view, it makes the database look cleaner and easier to find other extensions without having open lines just sitting there that I don't need.

And at the same time, there is no need for those extra lines as we are slowly moving everything to IP when they have issues with their digital lines.

Tech Electronics, thanks for the tip about using ~, that is an awesome feature that I had not seen before.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 06:37:05 AM »
apope,

You could, in theory and of course practice, convert phones from Digital to IP [52xx/53xx] on an offline DB, but then you would have to reload that DB back into the MiVO-250; which causes it to reset.

When you convert a Digital to IP on an offline DB it will close the DB programming down on you so when you start it back up you will need to do so from the last occurrence and not from where you save it at. This means that it will ask you if you want to save the session for future use you would have to click the Save button or you will lose the conversion you just made.

This is probably not something you are aware of if you didn't know about the ~ for Directory names which is why I brought it up. It would be best to get your vendor to show you how to do it properly so you don't mess anything up; which you can.

This most likely is not something you would be doing during business hours of course, but it sounds as though you are not a vendor and could possibly make use of this for the one off scenario.

This would keep all of the programming intact for that user and then all you would need to do it change the Keymap on the phone to the new IP Keymap.

Of course the 52xx/53xx series IP Phones have already been discontinued so you can't get those new anyway and if you are converting to 69xx series phones then this process wouldn't work for you.

Your vendor should have already made you aware of this, but the ability to buy new licensing for this particular system is running out soon and you may not be able to get licensing to convert from Digital to IP in the near future. If I were you I would get the licensing now or think about how you are going to approach a system change out in the future.

It is sad to see this little system go away as I don't think there is anything on the market today that can do what it can for the target audience it was meant for.

Thanks,

TE

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 05:50:39 PM »
Digital stations in programming represent physical hardware that is installed at your MDF, which is essential to the design and configuration of your system.

Keeping a clean database means having a tight numbering plan, consistent naming conventions, proper ordered lists and accurate documentation.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10