Author Topic: Fire Alarm/Elevator Phone/Dialer use PRI when POTS fails  (Read 1225 times)

Offline JeffonJohnsIsland

• View Profile
Fire Alarm/Elevator Phone/Dialer use PRI when POTS fails
« on: December 08, 2021, 06:12:48 PM »
Good afternoon,

I have a few analog devices which use POTS lines.  Several POTS lines are down, with a 12/11, 5 PM restoration date (cable failed early 12/7).  Telco says cable fail.  Four days to fix or swap a cable, that amazing to me.  Local telco is cutting crafts people, I can't imagine how they are surviving. 

The fire alarm has two lines, one on Mitel MiVoice Office 250 and the other direct connect to the POTS.  The elevator phone is direct connect to a POTS line.  The dialer is direct connect to a POTS line.  The dialer is a SensaPhone which alerts the proper people when the temps or percent oxygen are out of bounds for the controlled atmosphere (CA) apple storage rooms or if there was a ammonia leak.  The CA rooms hold lot's of bins full of apples, the dollar value is very, very high.  Elevator phone is kind of nice if the elevator fails in the middle of the night and it's a royal pain when one of the fire alarm lines fails, central station calling in the middle of the night.

We are working of have the CA control PC using other forms of alarm notification (sending texts via e-mail, etc..)  Fire alarm panels are slowly being replaced with at least POTS and internet communication with the CS. 

It would be nice if I could run these alarms through the Mitel, and when the POTS or PRI fail, have it switch to PRI or POTS.  The fire alarm panel is sort of set up that way, since I have one line on POTS and one on Mitel (PRI).  It would be nice if I there was a way to run the SensaPhone through the Mitel and have it use POTS or PRI, whichever is working.  I have thought about route groups, however that would depend on the phone number dialed and changes occasionaly (especially the SensaPhone.)  I can connect the alarm lines to the failover on the Mitel box, but that's only for power outage.  Am I missing some way of an easy failover between POTS and PRI?

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Fire Alarm/Elevator Phone/Dialer use PRI when POTS fails
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 07:35:07 PM »
You would just use analog extensions and set them as house phones to "8" (or whatever your outside access is).

Understand you may not want to do this permanently, in many areas having things like the elevator phone an analog, or alarms systems, is fire code.

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Alarm/Elevator Phone/Dialer use PRI when POTS fails
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 09:11:54 AM »

I have a few analog devices which use POTS lines.  Several POTS lines are down, with a 12/11, 5 PM restoration date (cable failed early 12/7).  Telco says cable fail.  Four days to fix or swap a cable, that amazing to me.  Local telco is cutting crafts people, I can't imagine how they are surviving. 

I've seen similar issues with copper repairs. Not much money in them anymore so they're moving it all to fiber with the bare minimum required by regulation on copper, including people to repair it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10