Author Topic: Ghost calls on two of our three lines  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Laxxal

• View Profile
Ghost calls on two of our three lines
« on: December 03, 2021, 06:25:46 PM »
Hello all,
We have been getting "ghost calls" on two of our three lines. The phone carrier and Mitel have been pointing fingers at each other.
The issue:
We have three incoming lines. Lines two and three will often ring, sometimes at the same time, but there is no one there. This happens a dozen times a day. The phone company put a call logger on our line three and recorded incoming calls for about a week. The "ghost calls" would come in and the call logger would not log a phone number. If a true call came in the logger would record the phone number. This is why the finger is currently pointed at Mitel. I am looking at the freeze logs, as a complete novice, and the only thing I see during a "Ghost call" event is the following:
01:556- 13:50 12-03 M5020 WRN HW CP [10.3.1]: Caller ID Terminated Due To Connect Timer Expired
This is what it looks like when both lines two and three ring at the same time:
-01:690- 14:54 12-03 M5020 WRN HW CP [10.2.1]: Caller ID Terminated Due To Connect Timer Expired
-01:691- 14:54 12-03 M5020 WRN HW CP [10.3.1]: Caller ID Terminated Due To Connect Timer Expired

Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be? Or where else I should be looking? Thanks!

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost calls on two of our three lines
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 10:10:46 PM »
Are these true analog lines? Stray ac voltage could be the issue, if coming from a cable company...it's on thier end.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 09:02:35 AM »
This sounds like some crossed/touching pairs in the field on old LS or GS circuits... I would telco to check the lines and verify your internal cross-connect cabling doesn't have a stray piece of jumper wire touching a couple terminals. I have seen this on 66 blocks where the conductor didn't cut cleanly and the tail is barely touching the next pair. Normal voltage isn't enough to to do anything you notice, but ring voltage is enough to jump the gap and cause a false ring.

Offline Laxxal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 10:26:32 AM »
They are analog lines. They come into a GoDigital box to split the lines from what I have gathered. Would you only get the fake ring if an actual call was coming in on another line?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 10:32:41 AM »
They are analog lines. They come into a GoDigital box to split the lines from what I have gathered. Would you only get the fake ring if an actual call was coming in on another line?
Not necessarily... It could be crossed in the field with a line of a different customer... Basically when they get a call, you get a phantom ring. Most competent telco's can see this kind of trouble with their internal testing gear, but not all. I would definitely reach out to your telco provider to at least have them check the lines up to the demarcation point.

Offline Laxxal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 10:51:09 AM »
Ahhh...I got it now. Ok. Thank you for your time. At this point Mitel is reviewing some freeze logs I sent them after a "ghost call". I imagine they won't turn anything up. At that point I can reach back out to the telco and have them troubleshoot. If I were to tell them anything, or suggest anything, what do you think that should be?

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 04:05:19 PM »
The message "Caller ID Terminated Due To Connect Timer Expired" is displayed when an analog line is forwarded off-site, but the ring burst is detected by the phone system.

I would guess that your Line 2 is forwarded to Line 3. Try using *73 or 73# on each line to cancel any forwarding.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10