Author Topic: MICC Client Auto Upgrades 9.1 to 9.3  (Read 1839 times)

Offline mitel361

• View Profile
MICC Client Auto Upgrades 9.1 to 9.3
« on: October 11, 2021, 04:59:03 PM »
MICC Client Upgrades.  I am on a MICC v9.1.2 platform, getting ready for 9.3.x upgrade. 

Last round of upgrades, I used Microsoft SCCM to deploy client upgrades as I was not familiar with the auto update option in YSE.

I did read in the Install and Admin Guide that "MiContact Center Updater Service checks the Enterprise Server every 10 minutes to see if any updates are available and, if so, downloads and applies the updates to client computers and
remote servers." 

Does this equate to a silent install / upgrade if the applications are not opened?
What is the end use experience if the upgrade, for whatever reason, did not complete successfully? Would opening the application detect and prompt the user to upgrade?  If so, is this a simple 'yes' and it completes or will users be prompted with any dialogs or options?

Thanks for any information.  Trying to minimize any user impact (especially contact center staff).

Offline Dogbreath

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: MICC Client Auto Upgrades 9.1 to 9.3
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 09:32:57 AM »
If the upgrade didn't work then there is a long pause after trying to open CCC and then it eventually says it failed to upgrade, do you want to use the old version.
I think the user will need to be an admin to complete the install, so it's better if the service can do it.

Bear in mind the license allows you to deploy a second server instance for testing purposes. Well worth making use of if you have enough room in your virtual environment for another copy of the server.

Offline mitel361

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 11:51:33 AM »
Thanks for the information.  What to expect should be documented.  In my contact center environment, the staff needs to be handling contacts, not sitting there waiting for an upgrade, especially if it does fail after even a lengthier time. 

I will plan on using my Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Mgr. to deploy.  It would also be nice if I could access the client software BEFORE the upgrade so that I can build my Endpoint Config Mgr. package and be ready to deploy asap.  As of now, I have to wait for the 9.x upgrade, then download the CCPack... then build in EndPoint.. then deploy.  Just adds more steps to an overall system upgrade (MiVB, MiCollab, MICC). 

Again, much obliged.

Offline mitel361

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 03:23:05 PM »
To answer my own question for those who may also want to use the Auto Update Client Applications setting in YSE.  It was not what I expected, it was better than expected, but with a strange twist.

Shortly after completing the MICC upgrade from 9.1.2.x to 9.3.x and launching YSE, I noticed what appeared to be files copying down.  Evidently, the updated files and components are pulled down, no prompts were seen - all silent and behind the scenes.

Spot checking other computers, the same was observed.  If the update already had completed, nothing was seen (no files copying down).

As for the strange twist... The Windows 10 Programs and Features did show the updated version installed (9.3.4 in my case), however the install date was not changed.  On some computers that date was 2019, 2020, earlier in 2021.   If I ran a 'repair' or 'change' and manually completed a reinstall, that install date would then update.

What I expected was a user encountering prompts as if a manual install were taking place.  So this did work better and I will plan on using going forward.  This will eliminate my need to use SCCM.

Regards.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10