Author Topic: New Area Code / Forced - Local Toll Calls  (Read 2005 times)

Offline SteAnnesIT

• View Profile
New Area Code / Forced - Local Toll Calls
« on: August 25, 2021, 10:25:21 AM »
I have been searching through the DB programming for nearly 2 hours now. I had reports from users that they have to enter their long distance access code for local numbers. Well it seems that this area has started using a newer area code for local exchange calls. This wasn't an issue previously as they never used this area code for local numbers here until recently.

We'll use some place holders here.
Original Area Code: 123
Secondary Area Code: 456
New Area Code: 789

123 and 456 have been used in this area for at least 2 or 3 decades, about 8 years ago they also added 789. When our phone system was setup there was absolutely no use of 789 for any numbers local to us.

Firstly I have gone to Numbering Plan > Home Area Codes and the initial installer or one at some point after, defined all three area codes in this config area.  123, 456 and 789.

When I go to Numbering Plan > User Groups > "Allowed Area Codes" is blank, "Extended Area Codes" lists only 123 and 456, and Restricted Area Codes contains all of the remaining as well as the 789 area code which I believe needs to be included with the other two in the 'Extended' list.

However, I see no way at all to edit these lists? I can't right click, I can't double click on, I can't hit delete or enter etc. There seems to be no way to remove 789 from the Restricted Area Codes list. or to add 789 to the Extended Area Codes list, I can't make any changes to this User Groups > 1 at all.

Perhaps this is not where I need to go to add 789 so that users don't need to enter the long distance code to dial out.  But currently I don't see another location where I can define all of the "local area code + exchange" dialing numbers. 

Could someone please help me out?  Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 10:45:59 AM by SteAnnesIT »

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New Area Code / Forced - Local Toll Calls
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 06:28:02 AM »
SteAnnesIT,

What are you Area Flags set for? Go to System > Numbering Plan > Area Flags:

Office Codes Used As Area Codes:
Area Codes Used As Office Codes:
Local 7/10 Digit Dialing:
Toll Digit Allowed On Toll Local Calls:
Toll Digit Required On Toll Long Distance:

To move a Restricted Area Code to the Extended within a User Group is a just a Drag-and-Drop feature. Find the 789 in the Restricted Area Codes and then hold-left-click to drag and drop it to the Extended Area Codes List.

Thanks,

TE

Offline SteAnnesIT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 08:40:54 AM »
Laughing out loud!  Drag and drop...   :o

Okay I mean I'm absolutely no expert even though I've been the one running our MiVo 250 for the last decade or so (with the help of our phone supplier for updates etc).  I have not once ever encountered drag-and-drop in the DB programming application until now.

To answer your question:
Yes
Yes
No
No
No

Regards,

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 11:07:23 AM »
SteAnnesIT,

Unless they went through the actual Inter-Tel course there is probably a lot your vendor doesn't know about the product.

I would set your 7/10 digit dialing to Yes as well.

Thanks,

TE

Offline SteAnnesIT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 11:56:38 AM »
Thank you for the help.

I did get our MiVo250 dialing rules all updated with the latest area codes and exchanges local to us.

Regards,

Offline SteAnnesIT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 01:43:57 PM »
LOL, I just got an email from one of our telecoms that the 'powers that be' are adding a fourth area code overlaying the first three in October 2021.   ::)   But hey, now I know what to do about it!

Offline JeffonJohnsIsland

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 05:57:22 PM »
A bit late to this thread, sorry.

I had been working on setting companies system to ten digit dialing (eastern Washington, ten digit mandatory next month.)  After much frustration, I found a note about home area codes...  "NOTE: The first Home Area Code causes the dialing behaves slightly differently than the others. The first area code is an area code that is always stripped from the dialing number."  Once I moved the local area code to ID 2, ten digit dialing worked. 

I am guessing all of you experts were already aware of this nifty little note, but I lost some hair before I found the note.  Oh well...

Take care,

Jeff

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 02:05:48 PM »
JeffonJohnsIsland,

That has been the case since the Inter-Tel Axxess 1.0 as far as I remember.

On sites that are networked you never use the first one unless you want to have problems.

Sorry,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10