Author Topic: MBG or Port Forwarding?  (Read 1256 times)

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
MBG or Port Forwarding?
« on: July 27, 2021, 05:48:56 PM »
So I have done many sites with port forwarding for remote phones... but never a site with more than about 10-15 remote phones. Where do you draw the line between doing port forwarding for remote phones and getting a MBG? I have a customer that is going to have, at least initially, about 30 remote phones, and knowing this customer could go to at 40+ within 18 months, is it recommended to go to an MBG or does it really matter.

The driving force behind this isn't work from home though, it is people constantly moving... Right now they have two sites, each with their own MiVO 250, about 60 IP sets at one site and 20 IP + 20 analog extensions, and all trunking for the IP sets goes through the larger site, and trunks for the analog lines (it's rooms in a residential facility) are separate and connect to the smaller MiVO 250. The problem here is the customer has been moving phones from one site to the other, 6-10 a month sometimes for extended periods and sometimes for just a couple weeks, but they want to take their phones, DID number, voicemail, etc with them.

So now they are looking at another facility, adding another 10-15 users, and the plan is to shuffle people around going forward there as well, so our solution is to make all phones not at the main site Teleworker phones so they can just take the phone offsite, hold down the 7 key and enter the IP address and set the emergency CID themselves rather than calling us to tear down the station and rebuild it several times a month as people move around. I am thinking a MBG would be a better solution than port forwarding as they don't have to change the Native/NAT setting in the MiVO250 if I understand correctly, but am I missing something else?

Bandwidth is not an issue, and the cost of a MBG, Teleworker licenses and paying for new Cat-D licenses for all the users to be consolidated at the main location isn't an issue for the customer, as it would largely pay for itself after several months of not having to have us make service calls to move people constantly.

Offline bojo387

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: MBG or Port Forwarding?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 05:42:23 AM »
I guess it depends if the network infrastructure is SIP ready and can support your requirements. One of the main reasons we prefer using an MBG is so that we have less (one way or no) audio issues with Teleworkers. The other is so we don't have to argue with the network people so much regarding the set-up when using port forwarding, NAT, etc .or during troubleshooting.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: MBG or Port Forwarding?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 03:23:47 PM »
In this case SIP isn't relevant, luckily, it's all MiNet devices (5320/5330e/5340e sets) which makes it a little easier. In this case the IT companies is one of our partners so the firewalling wouldn't be an issue either, but I think we are heading down the MBG road anyway as the customer has a virtual server with a public internet connection already, so we could just get another public IP and run it in server-gateway mode which would make it super simple for everyone.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10