Author Topic: Question about the possibility of editing a database not on a live system  (Read 694 times)

Offline Curtis-at-Travis

• View Profile
So, this weekend, attempted to do an upgrade from 8.x to 9.1
This was an upgrade that had been delayed for months, and at the time we originally planned it, we had run an audit and found one device that needed to be removed.

I had THOUGHT that this device had been removed.  It was not.

So, we stupidly ran the upgrade, and of course, it would not accept the database, because of the bad device.

We had not choice that I could see but to roll the upgrade back to 8.x, and restore what we had.

So, this brings up two questions:

In what reasonable universe would an upgrade refuse to complete, simply because of a device that could easily just be ignored in the upgrade process.
and, more importantly,
Has there ever been a tool that would allow someone to edit a database to correct or remove something like this, before attempting to upload?  For years I have been working on Axxess and Mitel MiVO databases, where you could load a database on your desktop and fix issues, without the need of hardware to do it, but you can't seem to do it with MiVB (which, IMHO, is STOOPID.).

Offline chrismitel

• View Profile
You can't edit the db offline.  I am guessing it is a physical controller?  I would always do a migration check just before and do a backup at that point.  If you are so worried can you not get a spare controller and do the upgrade on that so it is not affecting the customer if there is a problem?  Only need to clear the hardware ID and sync again.

Offline Dogbreath

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Yeah, offline DB editing would be nice, wouldn't it? But if they haven't added by now, they're not going to ever do it.
Even some "compromise" where it's a tool in Mitel Online that you can upload a DB to and edit it, would be a start.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I would agree that an offline tool should be made to allow db editing

Offline Curtis-at-Travis

• View Profile
Yeah, as I stated, I didn't do the migration check, which was stupid, and paid for it with several hours of my life I can't get back.

The database upload process has got to be the most frustrating thing.  If you have a database that is not compatible, you shouldn't have to waste an hour trying to load it only THEN finding out afterward.  Tell me this wasn't a system designed by sadists...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10