Author Topic: Ring Group Message Waiting Indicator  (Read 1571 times)

Offline rpalmer

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Ring Group Message Waiting Indicator
« on: April 27, 2021, 11:31:39 AM »
Hi, I have created a ring group (8104) and a VM (8104) which works fine.
Now I need to add a MWI on the user's phones so they know when there is a message in the shared mailbox.
Now I know this is not possible for hunt and ring groups - but there is a workaround?

I read something last week about nametag hunt groups or something of the like but I can't find it now.

Offline bobr1

• View Profile
    • Conway Communications, Inc.
Re: Ring Group Message Waiting Indicator
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 12:18:44 PM »
The only way I have been able to do this is by using an analog port:

1.  Program an analog port and name it (IE. 1234, sales MWI”).
2.  Make the new extension the FIRST member of your ring group.
3.  Program MWI buttons for extension 1234 on any phones that need to see the notification.

Unfortunately, you need to consume an actual analog port. This won't work without having the physical port.

This has always worked for me, but I would be interested if anyone has found another way to do it.

Offline sunspark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 12:35:50 PM »
Hi, I have created a ring group (8104) and a VM (8104) which works fine.
Now I need to add a MWI on the user's phones so they know when there is a message in the shared mailbox.
Now I know this is not possible for hunt and ring groups - but there is a workaround?

I read something last week about nametag hunt groups or something of the like but I can't find it now.

try to create a "message waiting indicator" button on each phone and enter your voicemail number

Offline bobr1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 12:40:15 PM »
Sunspark, the system won’t let you program a MWI button for a mailbox that is already associated to another extension (ie. the ring group). 

Offline rpalmer

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 01:52:25 PM »
The only way I have been able to do this is by using an analog port:

1.  Program an analog port and name it (IE. 1234, sales MWI”).
2.  Make the new extension the FIRST member of your ring group.
3.  Program MWI buttons for extension 1234 on any phones that need to see the notification.

Unfortunately, you need to consume an actual analog port. This won't work without having the physical port.

This has always worked for me, but I would be interested if anyone has found another way to do it.
Thanks for your reply!

I created Ring Group 8104 with the VM pilot number as the overflow.
I created analog extension 8704 (Analog Sets form) and made it the 1st Member in the Ring Group and 1015 as the 2nd member.
I created a MWI button for 8704 on extension 1015.
Does this sound right? You would expect the VM message to be delivered to 8704? I tested but the message is going to mailbox 8104

Offline bobr1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 02:19:50 PM »
No, the call will go to mailbox 8104 (the ring group). Ext 8704 doesn’t need a mailbox. Because it is the first member of the ring group, the the system will turn on its MWI. That’s what makes your MWI buttons on the other phones light up.

Offline bajangerry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 02:31:15 PM »
I haven't tried this yet but would this not work with a IP Device instead of an analog phone? Not sure why it would need to be an analog phone.

Offline bobr1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 03:35:17 PM »
I really don't know why it needs to be a physical analog port, but i haven't been able to get it to work using either an IP set (trusted or full service) or a phantom single line programmed on a multicall key. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 09:42:27 PM »
You can't set an MWI appearance against a ring group, the MWI (and therefore the mailbox number) has to be a line on a set, but it can be a non-prime line. Normally when we set up a system, we program a 5340 or 6940 as a Trusted device and place all the DN's we need for this sort of thing as single line appearances on that. Then over in the MiCollab NuPoint, program the mailboxes and make the Ring Group an associated extension on the mailbox. So, caller calls the ring group, it overflows to VM, ends up in a mailbox, and then lights the light for the non-prime line appearance and also the MWI appearances on the phones that need it.

Offline bajangerry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 09:12:40 AM »
You can't set an MWI appearance against a ring group, the MWI (and therefore the mailbox number) has to be a line on a set, but it can be a non-prime line. Normally when we set up a system, we program a 5340 or 6940 as a Trusted device and place all the DN's we need for this sort of thing as single line appearances on that. Then over in the MiCollab NuPoint, program the mailboxes and make the Ring Group an associated extension on the mailbox. So, caller calls the ring group, it overflows to VM, ends up in a mailbox, and then lights the light for the non-prime line appearance and also the MWI appearances on the phones that need it.
This is use exactly what I was about to test this morning, now I don't need to set it all up, thanks lundah!  ;D

Offline bobr1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 09:20:13 AM »
I guess we should have asked if you were using NuPoint or embedded VM. I just assumed we were talking about embedded.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10