Author Topic: Monitor phone while it is on-hook?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline ScottL

• View Profile
Monitor phone while it is on-hook?
« on: January 21, 2021, 08:51:14 AM »
My boss has asked, and I am checking here, if it is possible to listen to a phone's microphone while the phone is not in use. The end user would not know they are monitored. I don't mean the Silent Monitor feature.

Thank you,

Scott
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 08:52:51 AM by ScottL »

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Monitor phone while it is on-hook?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 11:08:38 AM »
My boss has asked, and I am checking here, if it is possible to listen to a phone's microphone while the phone is not in use. The end user would not know they are monitored. I don't mean the Silent Monitor feature.

Thank you,

Scott
No... You could do a set page, hit mute on your phone and listen, but they will get a beep to indicate the call and the phone will be active in a call, meaning they will see the light on and things.

Basically your boss is trying to make the phone a spying device when no call in progress, and that just isn't going to work at all. I could be wrong, but I have never seen a phone system with this ability, and you probably never will... I would think this ability would be a legal nightmare in some parts of the world, even in some parts of the US.

I would say boss is out of line, but this honestly seems to be the way things are going... Cubical walls going down for "open offices", cameras being installed in individual offices, all calls recorded and logged, PC screen/keyboard recordings... These things are all becoming more common, but thankfully it's still not the norm.

Offline ScottL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 03:38:52 PM »
Thank you, I felt this was distasteful and shady, but said I would check into it. Now I can tell him no and not get pushback.

Scott

Offline sunspark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 06:00:51 PM »
Hotel/Motel Monitor Rooms

Description:

This feature allows a hotel guest to use a guest room industry-standard telephone as a room monitor. The monitor provides a one-way audio call path from the guest room handset microphone to a listener device. The listener device may be an attendant console, line, or trunk. The listener device can only monitor an extension that has been previously activated as a room monitor.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 08:20:22 PM »
Hotel/Motel Monitor Rooms

Description:

This feature allows a hotel guest to use a guest room industry-standard telephone as a room monitor. The monitor provides a one-way audio call path from the guest room handset microphone to a listener device. The listener device may be an attendant console, line, or trunk. The listener device can only monitor an extension that has been previously activated as a room monitor.

This is not at all what you think it is... Imagine you're a parent in a hotel with small children, but you had to split into two rooms... This is so Room XXX can listen to Room YYY during the night, yet not have to stay in the same room with the children. This is not some covert feature in any way, you have to go to each set and turn it on manually, and it only works with single line sets, and the phones are off-hook and active while the monitoring is occurring. Basically its a phone call with mute in one direction (very simplified).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 08:22:16 PM by acejavelin »

Offline sunspark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 05:30:08 AM »
i think , you can use "direct voice call" feaure :

phone A calls hone B, B doesn't need to pick up, on the other hand B hears a beep before.
but it is legally prohibited

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10