Author Topic: prefix 9 to dial out  (Read 1829 times)

Offline ausername

• View Profile
prefix 9 to dial out
« on: November 16, 2020, 01:26:36 PM »
Hey guys,

We have a new facility that is making use of our Mitel PBX 3000 infrastructure.  Our PBX is hosted at our main office and is able to connect to the new facility via networking routing magic as if it was local.  This new facility has both business and public phones.  We would like the public phones to be able to “dial out”  without having to add the prefix 9.  How could we accomplish this?

Alternatively,  is it possible that the prefix 9 to dial out isn’t required for all of the phones connected on our PBX?

Thanks!

-sebastien

Offline JasonTaylor

• View Profile
Re: prefix 9 to dial out
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 01:58:49 PM »
Hey guys,

We have a new facility that is making use of our Mitel PBX 3000 infrastructure.  Our PBX is hosted at our main office and is able to connect to the new facility via networking routing magic as if it was local.  This new facility has both business and public phones.  We would like the public phones to be able to “dial out”  without having to add the prefix 9.  How could we accomplish this?

Alternatively,  is it possible that the prefix 9 to dial out isn’t required for all of the phones connected on our PBX?

Thanks!

-sebastien

Yes this can be done.

The form ‘ARS digits dialled’ is mapped to ARS routes and controls exactly what digits need to be dialled and where the calls needs to route.  So the form will have something like 90x or 0x depending on country dial plans (here in the UK everything local / national / international is 0x).

Each route will have a COR (Class Of Restriction) which will control the extensions that are allowed to dial this route (business phones vs public phones).

As the 2 systems are clustered the form can either be synchronised (so both systems can dial out with or without a 9) or different (limiting this feature to just the new facility).

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 06:03:03 PM »
Yes it can be done, good idea maybe not IMHO. Just makes internal conflict dialing slower.

Offline ausername

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 07:35:33 AM »
Yes it can be done, good idea maybe not IMHO. Just makes internal conflict dialing slower.

Thanks guys!  I'm curious what you mean by the conflict and dialing slower part ?

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 08:23:30 AM »
Assuming you don't have to restrict your public phones from certain trunks, set up an ARS route with a digit mod that absorbs 0 digits and the same trunk group you used for your dial 9 access.  Then in ARS digits dialed route 1 with 10 digits to follow out the new route.   Once this is done then both your dial 9 access and the new dial 1 access will be be available to all phones.

As mentioned by JohnP, if the "1" digit conflicts with any internal number, dialing internally will be slower.

Ralph

Offline ausername

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 10:11:51 AM »
Assuming you don't have to restrict your public phones from certain trunks, set up an ARS route with a digit mod that absorbs 0 digits and the same trunk group you used for your dial 9 access.  Then in ARS digits dialed route 1 with 10 digits to follow out the new route.   Once this is done then both your dial 9 access and the new dial 1 access will be be available to all phones.

As mentioned by JohnP, if the "1" digit conflicts with any internal number, dialing internally will be slower.

Ralph

I tried this suggestion without success. 
ARS route with a digit mod that absorbs 0 digits and the same trunk group you used for your dial 9 access  (check)
in ARS digits dialed route 1 with 10 digits to follow out the new route  (check)

Result
When calling my cell (1 xxx xxx xxxx)  I get an automated message from our cell carrier that this isn't a long distance call and that I should redial without adding "1"
When calling a long distance ( 1 xxx xxx xxxx),  the call can be established properly
When calling my cell without the area code (xxx xxxx),  the call can't connect anywhere
When calling my cell with the area code (xxx xxx xxxx),  the call can't connect anywhere

I live in Canada and our goal is not to have any prefix when dialing from specific handsets.

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 03:25:23 PM »
In ARS Digits Dialed for your local area code(s) you'll have to make it select a route which absorbs the "1" and sends ten digits out via the carrier. It will probably look very similar to the way the "9" plus number was sent.

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 04:36:16 PM »

Ralph

I tried this suggestion without success. 
ARS route with a digit mod that absorbs 0 digits and the same trunk group you used for your dial 9 access  (check)
in ARS digits dialed route 1 with 10 digits to follow out the new route  (check)

Result
When calling my cell (1 xxx xxx xxxx)  I get an automated message from our cell carrier that this isn't a long distance call and that I should redial without adding "1"
When calling a long distance ( 1 xxx xxx xxxx),  the call can be established properly
When calling my cell without the area code (xxx xxxx),  the call can't connect anywhere
When calling my cell with the area code (xxx xxx xxxx),  the call can't connect anywhere

I live in Canada and our goal is not to have any prefix when dialing from specific handsets.

Well that sucks.
So bottom line is, programming it the way I told you to works if you're dialing a LD call but not local, right?
So here's what you need to do:  (and it sucks, I know)
Find out what all the local exchanges are an program them in your ARS.  Use the exact same route you used for the new 1 dialing.  For example, if a local exchange is 555, then program 555 with 4 digits to follow. 
You'll have to do that for every local exchange.
Then you may have to suffer through the digit conflicts.  For example, if you have an extension that is 5555, then the system is going to wait at least 3 seconds to ring 5555 when you dial it.  (You can make it go faster by entering a '#' when done)

Now, to be clear, I'm not recommending doing any of that.  Any time a new local exchange comes in, you'll have to know about it and then add it to your ARS.  IMHO it's better to just dial the 9.  That's so common in NA that most people won't have a problem understanding it.

Ralph

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10