Author Topic: SNMP Alarm Name With PRTG  (Read 1109 times)

Offline phonebooth

• View Profile
SNMP Alarm Name With PRTG
« on: November 04, 2020, 09:19:13 PM »
Hi everyone,

We run a fleet of Mitel 3300s and have been trialling PRTG for monitoring them. We use MPA for our 3300s with premium SWA. I'm facing some issues and wondering if anyone has come across the same.

When using mitel ipera3000cat tbl name / 1.3.6.1.4.1.1027.4.1.1.2.2.4.1.8 to obtain the system alarm name, PRTG returns "No response" which causes the sensor to go into a down state. This is because the 3300 doesn't have an active alarm. If the 3300 has an alarm, the sensor pulls the correct alarm name, displays it within PRTG and places the sensor into an "OK" state.

I've contacted PRTG support and they've indicated this is correct behaviour, which makes sense. No alarm, nothing to retrieve, poll fails and displays a "Down" state in PRTG. They've also indicated this is a "very uncommon approach for SNMP".

For those that have products like SolarWinds, Zabbix etc have you managed to get this working? If so, how did you achieve it?

Cheers!

Offline Dogbreath

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: SNMP Alarm Name With PRTG
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 05:15:36 AM »
Because it responds with "No Such Instance currently exists at this OID" , Zabbix marks the item as Unsupported, which means that it then demotes its polling interval to 10 minutes. So no, I haven't really "handled" it with Zabbix, as such. I might actually be able use it in this state so long as a 10 minute delay was acceptable.
I trigger on mitelIpera3000AlmLevel and then investigate as needed.

They're not wrong about it being an uncommon approach to implementing an SNMP agent - if anything, I think their response is way too diplomatic :-)

Offline phonebooth

• View Profile
Re: SNMP Alarm Name With PRTG
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 02:19:34 AM »
Thanks for your response! I was trying to avoid that, but I guess we'll also have to follow the alarm level only approach. I wonder how MarWatch have implemented it for Mitel.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10