Author Topic: Moving Virtual MSL (Linux)MiCollab Boarder Gateway/Teleworker Server to new Host  (Read 1189 times)

Offline maggie

• View Profile
I need to move my virtual Border Gateway/Teleworker server to a different Hyper-V host.  I need it to keep the same Static IP, which I'm thinking it will - since it's in the configuration (which I can go in and check after the move).    However I have had issues moving other Linux Servers (not Mitel Related) where we've had to go in and set the MAC address.  If that might happen to me here, I would like to be prepared as to how to do that.  It may differ based on the Linux Version.

Any thoughts welcome.  Thank you.

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
The system license is associated with the MAC address of the primary network interface. By default, HyperV will randomly assign the MAC address on each guest VM on bootup. If you move a Mitel Linux HyperV guest to a new host, copy the MAC address from the exiting host (or if you do a live migration, HyperV should do this for you), and change it to a static assignment. Worst case, go into Mitel AMC and clear the hardware ID, then re-synch from the new host.

Offline maggie

• View Profile
Hi, thank you so very much for this.  Assuming I have to make the MAC static, can that be done in the little Mitel "gui" (when you sign in with Admin) or should I use some kind of Linux editor and sign in with Root?

Or, better yet, can it be done in the Mitel UI after it's booted up, etc?

I'm a little nervous about doing a Live Migration with this server.  Everyone's remote these days - lots of Teleworkers! 

Thank you again.  Maggie

Offline Dogbreath

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hi, thank you so very much for this.  Assuming I have to make the MAC static, can that be done in the little Mitel "gui"

Nope. The MAC address is assigned to the guest [MSL] by the hypervisor [Hyper V]. You need to use the hypervisor's management tools to do this.

Offline maggie

• View Profile
Yes, I get that - thank you.  I was hoping NOT to have to assign a static MAC in Hyper V.. I worry that the older server (that this is moving off of) might give it out again.  Thanks again to everyone for the quick and precise responses. 

Offline maggie

• View Profile
Just to update - I moved the MiCollab virtual server to a different hyper v host, it was assigned MAC addresses dynamically, but everything worked fine - obviously I had to assign nic's.. It kept it's IP and apparently, in this case, the MAC address changing didn't affect anything.  Thanks much for the help.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10