Author Topic: Bill for License Violation  (Read 1665 times)

Offline msouva

• View Profile
Bill for License Violation
« on: August 28, 2020, 02:18:14 PM »
We are being billed for the license violation issue, has anyone else been billed? 

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bill for License Violation
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 03:18:49 PM »
As it should be, takes time to apply the root certificate patch.

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 05:01:37 PM »
yes, we did updates for our 200+ customers, and it was billable time. We ain't the Bishops Charities.

Offline NEPhoneGuy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 09:41:40 PM »
We are being billed for the license violation issue, has anyone else been billed?

I would suppose it would matter your relationship with your partner and service agreement, if any.

Offline sunspark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 03:50:05 AM »
We do it for free for all our customers who have support contracts.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 05:25:02 PM »
Sure... if they have a support agreement of some kind it SHOULD be included in most cases, otherwise, like any other change it would be a T&M billable service. We had about 50/50 covered and billable... Of the billable ones, most were done remotely by a remote desktop session with an onsite contact and onsite visits for the rest at our normal support rates and minimum charges, with travel if applicable, applied.

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 09:22:30 AM »
Sure... if they have a support agreement of some kind it SHOULD be included in most cases, otherwise, like any other change it would be a T&M billable service. We had about 50/50 covered and billable... Of the billable ones, most were done remotely by a remote desktop session with an onsite contact and onsite visits for the rest at our normal support rates and minimum charges, with travel if applicable, applied.

Exactly this. If the customer has a support agreement that includes X hours per month, the actual time was charged against the agreement. If they were a T&M customer, we charged the appropriate minimum per the existing agreement. We were even able to upsell several customers to full upgrades instead of just installing the new root certificate.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 10:03:20 AM »
Exactly this. If the customer has a support agreement that includes X hours per month, the actual time was charged against the agreement. If they were a T&M customer, we charged the appropriate minimum per the existing agreement. We were even able to upsell several customers to full upgrades instead of just installing the new root certificate.
Exactly... We upgraded about 3 out of 4 systems to 9.1... The ones that didn't upgrade either had a plan in the next year of moving off of the Mitel, or they are customers that haven't even been maintaining SWA anyway and just don't care. We have seen a significant migration to hosted platforms, luckily most of them to ours. I would estimate 90% of all installs we do these days are to our hosted platform, don't think we have only done one Mitel installation at all this year and that was a MiVO 250. At the same time I bet we have decommissioned 6 Mitel systems, at least 2 decent sized 3300 systems. :/

Offline msouva

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 10:35:36 AM »
Well, I was just asking because this issue was not a result of something we did to the system.  My opinion is that this was a Mitel issue and we should not pay to have the certificate put in place.  Thank you everyone for the information and discussion.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 05:09:48 PM »
I think your question was answered. I assume you are not under any maintenance contract

Offline msouva

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 09:49:18 AM »
Johnp,

Yes, my question was answered.  We do have a contract, just was surprised at the bill.  I watch the file being FTP into place and the command run to put the certificate in place.  It looked straight forward to do.

Thanks again everyone for the information.  :)

Offline NEPhoneGuy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 10:27:09 AM »
Johnp,

Yes, my question was answered.  We do have a contract, just was surprised at the bill.  I watch the file being FTP into place and the command run to put the certificate in place.  It looked straight forward to do.

Thanks again everyone for the information.  :)

SWA/SUS with Mitel or contract with your Partner. If the latter, I'd probably balk at the bill too and be curious what is covered. You're right - it wasn't a tricky procedure but the burden is with both the customer and partner, nobody got rich with this process and it was a real pia for most.

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 09:32:06 AM »
Mitel actually has the procedure in a video on their website, available publicly if you can find it.
https://www.mitel.com/articles/mivoice-business-security-certificate-requirement

It is straight forward for IT people, maybe a bit daunting for a standard customer.

The customer just requires the appropriate file and system access.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10