Author Topic: disk works alone but not in RAID  (Read 679 times)

Offline TELEFON

• Contributer
    • View Profile
disk works alone but not in RAID
« on: July 11, 2020, 11:40:07 PM »
I’m attempting to use a non-Mitel disk in a 3300 controller.  It works fine when it’s by itself.  But I cannot get the same disk to be accepted as the secondary member of a RAID array!  The rebuild runs to completion, then the ‘Hard Fault’ returns.  I have tried the following procedure more than once:

The controller is a 3300 MXe II with RAID controller, all known to be in good working order.  The disk I’m trying to use is a 80GB IDE Seagate with the same P/N as my Mitel disks:  ST380215A.

It does work by itself: 
I “cleared sockets”, then put this fresh disk into slot #1.  Ran a new install from bootline using the FixPartition option, of MiVoice Business 8.0 SP3 PR3 (14.0.3.51).
Controller boots up and runs happily in a vanilla, unlicensed state.  No sign of any disk problems whatsoever.

RAID will not rebuild onto it:
So I take the above disk out and set it aside. Cleared sockets, and put in a different disk containing a working install of MiVoice 8.0, in slot #1.
Controller boots up and runs happily.  I then add the non-Mitel disk in slot#2, checking SHOW STATUS REDUNDANT at various times to watch what happens.
The newly-added drive initially shows a Hard Fault of course, until I invoke the rebuilding of the array using the control button for Disk2.  The fault goes away during the rebuild and it shows a blinking green for the duration of the rebuild, as normal.  However as soon as the rebuild is finished, the status of Disk #2 changes to Hard Fault again!

So why does the Mitel accept this disk on its own but not in the RAID?  Why does the rebuild process appear to complete successfully, then immediately show a hard fault?   

Here are the Log entries, beginning (at bottom) from the moment I insert the non-Mitel disk in slot#2:
10:39:22   REDUNDANT      Rebuild completed
10:39:22   REDUNDANT      Hard fault detected for disk 2
10:39:22   ResourceMonitor   Progress Monitor->RaiseAlarmRaised Major Alarm on Faulty Disk
…      
7:14:00   REDUNDANT      Rebuild started
7:14:00   REDUNDANT      Hard fault cleared for disk 2
…      
7:12:35   REDUNDANT      Disk 1 installed. Disk 2 installed.
7:12:35   ResourceMonitor   Progress Monitor->RaiseAlarmRaised Major Alarm on Faulty Disk

Thanks a lot for any advice you can offer.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 11:41:54 PM by TELEFON »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10