Author Topic: Can MiVoice 8.0 restore a MCD 4.1 SP2 backup?  (Read 1237 times)

Offline TELEFON

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Can MiVoice 8.0 restore a MCD 4.1 SP2 backup?
« on: May 21, 2020, 05:57:56 AM »
We have two almost identical 3300 MXe II controllers.  One is our production system, call it “A” (fully licensed, with SWA) and the other box we obtained for an emergency spare: “B”. 
Controller “A” is running MCD 4.1 SP2 (10.1.2.13).

We would like to stage up “B” with the latest version of MiVoice Business that will run on the hardware; take over our Application Record so it becomes licensed; then physically swap it in one night to become the new production controller.

I have already installed an empty, vanilla instance of MiVoice Business 8.0 SP3 PR3 onto “B”, but it is not allowing any restores since it’s not licensed yet.  If we go ahead with the ARID swap and have “B” as a licensed but empty instance of 8.0, will “B” be able to read a 4.1  production backup from “A” ??  If not, what is the latest version we need to put on “B” that can read 4.1 backups?  (After that, we would do in-place upgrades to bring it up to 8.0 or as high as we can go.)

Any tips much appreciated!

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can MiVoice 8.0 restore a MCD 4.1 SP2 backup?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 01:21:54 AM »
From MCD 4.1 you can upgrade direct to MiVB 8.

Just use the Software Installer as normal. Just clear the ARID from AMC to install it on the replacement hardware.

Pretty sure you'll need an MXeIII to go to MiVB 9

Offline TELEFON

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 01:42:32 AM »
Thank you, sarond.  I will work on that approach.  Regards.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 04:31:38 PM »
Remember you must have active software assurance on this ARID or it will not license on 8.0

Offline TELEFON

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 04:51:31 AM »
No joy yet.  After clearing system A's hardware ID from our ARID and attempting to claim it on spare box B, we have learned that B is known to AMC and still linked to the former owner's ARID.  I'm attempting to make contact with them, although I don't hold out much hope for getting their help.  Also waiting on a callback from Mitel (can they help if I show proof of purchase?).  Would moving the ibutton from "A" to "B" be an option?  Will "A" boot without one?  (I suppose I could give it B's if that keeps it running for now).  Any comments welcome.

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 04:53:14 AM »
Not sure how you are going to go with system B. Licenses aren't really transferable between customers.

You could move the iButton to system B but I don't think system A will work with out it.

Offline TELEFON

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 09:25:57 PM »
I would like to report a good outcome after swapping iButtons.  With System "B" now carrying our original hardware Id, the SI upgrade could sync to AMC and was happy to proceed.  Of course I restored a fresh backup from A just before starting the upgrade.  So we've now got System B happily running Release 8.0 SP3 PR3 (14.0.3.51), and it contains recent live data from A (10.1.2.13).  :).

I've still got more testing to do before moving B into the rack, but hopefully no big surprises.  We might have to say goodbye to our 5540 IP console?  There were warnings during the upgrade about incompatibility...

Thanks for everyone's input and advice!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 10:10:42 AM »
I would like to report a good outcome after swapping iButtons.  With System "B" now carrying our original hardware Id, the SI upgrade could sync to AMC and was happy to proceed.  Of course I restored a fresh backup from A just before starting the upgrade.  So we've now got System B happily running Release 8.0 SP3 PR3 (14.0.3.51), and it contains recent live data from A (10.1.2.13).  :).

I've still got more testing to do before moving B into the rack, but hopefully no big surprises.  We might have to say goodbye to our 5540 IP console?  There were warnings during the upgrade about incompatibility...

Thanks for everyone's input and advice!
iButton swap is a common thing with hardware replacement, shouldn't be an issue. Any MCD 4.0 through 8.0 can be restored to a higher or equal version, I wouldn't expect any issues. Going backwards is problematic at best, if it works at all.

The 5540 console thing is tough, most (not all) customers we had no issues going to 8.0 but going to 9.x was a different story. Try it, but be prepared to swap it out... Sadly, the MiVB doesn't support "sub-attendants" like the SX-200 did.  :-\

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10