Author Topic: Crazy upgrade time...  (Read 1498 times)

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Crazy upgrade time...
« on: April 23, 2020, 12:36:54 PM »
Not a question, maybe a little bit of a warning though...

Had MiCollab 8.1 in my test bench and started an upgrade to the latest this morning at like 8:15 with a clean install of MSL. This is the slowest process I can ever remember and it's on a pretty stout machine, Dell PowerEdge server with Xeon E3-1200 CPU, 32GB RAM, and SSD RAID drives. It is now 11:34am and we are just at 50% complete.

Good thing this isn't a production system or I might have people yelling at me. I don't remember this process ever taking long.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy upgrade time...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 01:37:52 PM »
UPDATE: An hour later and we are now at 52%... WTH?!?!

Keeps staying for a significant amount of time at "performing post-install" for each step, like an hour sometimes. And it's doing something because the Status keeps changing from Minor to Clear and back and forth.

UPDATE 2: Another hour, at 1:30pm now, and just at 54%...  :-\

UPDATE 3: Just got back to the office from a 3300 migration from 8.0 to 9.0 and it's 6pm, now we are at 87%... Wonder if there is a bug in the install script of 9.1.3.12-01 or something, really shouldn't take this long. Wish I could just open a ticket directly with Mitel...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 06:57:47 PM by acejavelin »

Offline Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 04:22:12 AM »
Thats insane, surely it isnt supposed to take that amount of time!

I must admit i've never tried this upgrade on a physical box yet, however the upgrade process from a VM to VM is much quicker. The other night I went from 8.1 to 9.1 using a new VM then the "restore from another running VM" method and the whole thing took less than 15 mins.

Though we're having a few strange issues with services crashing on this latest version you are also using, will be interesting to know if you get anything similar Ace..

Thanks

Offline mark.vanderheijden

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 05:11:35 AM »
Hi,

I noticed this too, ever since the new swdl.mitel.com is used it is very slow on install. I do not think it has something to do with the last version. Everytime i upgraded our lab and demo system within the 9.x versions via this way it taked several hours to install.

Gr. Mark

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 07:48:28 AM »
Thanks for that... This was ridiculous, the fresh install upgrade took over 12 hours, and then when I came in the morning I couldn't access the voicemail and then realized it "lost" the initial restore somehow and was basically a blank box even though I restored the backup through the console, I had to do a restore after all the blades were installed again and everything was working again. I don't think I did anything wrong, but this just seemed insane. And our test system only has something like 10 phones on it.

Oh, and I didn't install via USB like I usually do... For some reason the install wouldn't see the blades on the USB stick even though it just did a restore from the same drive, so I downloaded them for amc, but it's right off of our core and we are an ISP so that wasn't the bottleneck as I think the download took a total of around 15 minutes for everything.

My real concern going forward is doing this for customers... We don't have a lot of them with MiCollab, maybe four or five now at the company I am at now, but when they do an upgrade it could be a painful if it's going to take 12+ hours.

Though we're having a few strange issues with services crashing on this latest version you are also using, will be interesting to know if you get anything similar Ace..
I played with it a bit yesterday and it seemed stable and had no issues, but again this isn't a production system, it is in our test bench. If something odd happens I will let you know.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 07:50:54 AM by acejavelin »

Offline mark.vanderheijden

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 09:18:25 AM »
Would suggest if it is possible to deploy a new server and do a "restore from running server" this is much quicker at the end.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 01:10:22 PM »
Would suggest if it is possible to deploy a new server and do a "restore from running server" this is much quicker at the end.
This is physical machine, and I don't have another to use for this application, so it wasn't an option. But this was a clean install followed by a restore, the was the time it took to install the blades, not download them or perform the restoration.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10