Author Topic: do handsets wear out?  (Read 713 times)

Offline lordheetsink

• Contributer
    • View Profile
do handsets wear out?
« on: April 15, 2020, 11:57:32 AM »
Our Mitel system is just over three years old. our phones are the 5320e/5340e models.
In the last few months, I have been getting more complaints about noise/complaints when using the handset, not the speaker or headset.
I tried replacing the coiled cords with generic replacements and these often don't work at all. I got genuine Mitel replacements and these still suffer from the noise that is related to the cord moving.
Moving the cord gently creates noise/static.
I guess the handset piece jack is failing on several phones that get a lot of usage.
has anyone else had this experience?
are the handsets replaceable, is there a part number?
thanks in advance!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: do handsets wear out?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 11:32:32 PM »
Actually, we see this a on occasion... The easiest fix is to take a small paper clip and make a small right angle bend at the end, only a couple millimeters long, then remove the handset cord from the handset, put the right angle piece of the paperclip behind the tension finger contacts in the handset and lift them a bit to increase the tension they put on the handset cord contacts. Not a 100% fix, but works most of the time for a significant amount of time.

Offline lordheetsink

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Re: do handsets wear out?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 12:15:54 PM »
thanks, good idea. I tested shimming up the RJ11 (?!?) jack with tape on either side of the plastic to remove any play once its inserted. Tedious work. Nortel handsets didn't have this issue.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10