Author Topic: new user trying to work from home  (Read 1644 times)

Offline travis4200

• View Profile
new user trying to work from home
« on: March 31, 2020, 12:56:13 PM »
Hello all,

For the past week I've been trying to get my work phone setup on my home network and keep running into a problem. If I only enter a public IP address the phone gets stuck on DHCP discovery and does not show up on my router. If I enter in phone IP, Gateway, Subnet, public IP then the phone shows up on router but gets stuck contacting server. I have spent close to 20 hours on the phone with Mitel, internet provider and Netgear. Mitel has come down to say that my internet provider has ports blocked not allowing access. They determined this by having me ping 8.8.8.8 and XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX The computer receives these pings so they say I am connected but do not have access. I feel Mitel isn't digging in deeper with either my work network or a settings on my end. They have accessed my router and tried to make changes but nothing has worked.
Can anyone help me figure this out? I am not to tech savvy when it comes to this stuff and kinda just winging it trying to figure it out. I am losing money everyday that I my phone is not connected.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 03:22:10 PM by v2win »

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: new user trying to work from home
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 01:36:13 PM »
I'm making an assumption that you're running off of a 3300 and using a Mitel MBG.

The MBG server has a downloadable tool that you can use to check for open ports.
It's called a Teleworker Network Analyzer or TNA.
You'll probably have to have your service provider send it to you.
You run it on your laptop.  It will show you what's opened and closed.  Not everything will or should be open.
If you run it, you can post it here so we can take a look at it.  just be sure to obscure the public IP.

Ralph

Offline pmhaynes

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 04:27:31 PM »
You are not putting the phone into teleworker mode
If you were it would not need the dhcp option

to put the phone into teleworker mode hold down number 7 while powering the phone
keep it pressed until it shows "teleworker"

enter the public ip address of your mbg
use the volume down button to save the ip address and it should prompt to be rebboted

note
might be different on the 69xx series handsets

Offline travis4200

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 06:23:33 PM »
I am unsure what the 3300 is and I dont think we are running off of MBG although I could be wrong. We have two remote users and with COVID 19 I am becoming the third. The other two have there phones set with public IP and a port # with no problem connecting.
The phone is a 5324 if that makes a difference.
Ralph - while I bet this is the way to go it is beyond my abilities. My service provider isnt the friendliest or easiest to work with either. Cox, go figure.
pmhaynes - I tried this but still no connection, stuck on contacting server.
Is there a way to enable DHCP on the phone?

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 10:27:41 AM »
I just ran TNA to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX and it looks to me like someone has opened up their 3300 to the internet... A *seriously* bad idea. That's why we have MBG, protection and media anchoring/nat traversal.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 03:20:14 PM by v2win »

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 08:03:27 PM »
First off, I hope everything turns out OK with the virus for you.

I'm still making a huge assumption here since you posted your question in the 3300 section that your phone  is trying to connect to a 3300. 
If, as dilkie appears to believe, that you're not using an MBG, this is not going to work for you.  You can't NAT a public IP address directly the 3300 and point a phone to it.  If that's what your team did, undo it now before you have some serious damage done.
You need an Mitel Border Gateway (MBG) in order to run devices remotely to a 3300 or a VPN from your home office to your corporate office.

Ralph

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10