Author Topic: Mitel 5312 with voip.ms?  (Read 2451 times)

Offline milkbadger

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Mitel 5312 with voip.ms?
« on: January 30, 2020, 01:00:57 AM »
Our familiy recently inherited a Mitel 5312 phone from my wife's company who was getting rid of it.

Is it possible to use it with any of the services provided by voip.ms?  We have a broadband internet connection at home, but no other special hardware to speak of.

I have searched for manuals on the web, but I haven't found anything that has advice on how I would program or setup this phone to use with a non-Mitel VoIP service.  Maybe it is isn't possible with this model?

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel 5312 with voip.ms?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 09:08:58 AM »
is it in 'sip' mode or 'minet' mode? if minet, switch to sip (hole down 6 key while booting).. then use the web server in the phone (use your broqwser) to configure... default password is model, so '5312' in your case.

i have a 5304 running in sip using voip.ms so it's doable

Offline milkbadger

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 08:42:46 PM »
Thanks!  I successfully rebooted my phone and put in SIP mode and logged in via web interface (username admin, password 5312).

On the web page I filled in the settings for SIP (using sanjose1.voip.ms for Proxy and Registration servers), but when I reboot the phone it eventually flashes an error message

*NO REG*

Not sure what is wrong or how to get more diagnostics.

Offline milkbadger

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 12:17:22 AM »
Also tried plugging IP addresses for servers to rule out DNS issues -- still didn't work:

Offline milkbadger

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 01:27:53 AM »
Found an administrator's manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/104344/Mitel-5312.html
But still no luck with outbound calling.

Via Superkey menu interface, I found my phone software version:
S/W 06.05.00.08

Not sure if that is useful information.

Offline NEPhoneGuy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 09:08:22 AM »
Are you putting in registration credentials along with the the sever to register to?

Offline milkbadger

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 12:16:29 PM »
Yes, I filled in "SIP Authentication User Name" with the six-digit user I was assigned by voip.ms, along with the SIP password I created at the voip.ms site (web UI screenshot attached).  Still "*NO REG*" on the LCD display.

During phone boot there is also a message about "RCS" failing, not sure what RCS is or if it is relevant.

Offline NEPhoneGuy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 12:50:27 PM »
A few thoughts on what I'd look to try...
-Try registering the extension to a soft client like xlite to see if it works at all
-Does voip.ms use UDP/5060 or something else?
-Does voip.ms want to authenticate based on MAC or source IP?
-Grab a packet capture of the phone booting up and trying to register

Offline milkbadger

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 01:24:16 AM »
Thanks for the tips!  I got a little farther, but still no luck.  Probably going to throw the phone out in the garbage soon.

A few thoughts on what I'd look to try...
-Try registering the extension to a soft client like xlite to see if it works at all

I downloaded Telephone.app from the Mac App Store and installed it on my Mac.  After trying to set it up, I discovered that the SIP settings I had been using on my Mitel didn't work there, either.  Finally I found a wiki page at voip.ms suggesting I needed to create a "subaccount".  I did that and then was able to successfully make outbound calls from Telephone.app.

I went back to the Mitel web gui and updated the SIP user name and password to use the same "subaccount" credentials I had gotten to work with Telephone.app, but the LCD still reports "*NO REG*" and it won't make calls.

-Does voip.ms use UDP/5060 or something else?

UDP/5060

-Does voip.ms want to authenticate based on MAC or source IP?

In my case, no.  voip.ms supports those options but I don't have them enabled and didn't use them for my Telephone.app testing.

-Grab a packet capture of the phone booting up and trying to register

Sadly, my home router (Netgear R6250) doesn't have a packet capture feature.  I installed Wireshark on my Mac, but it is a work device and the admins have disabled the Internet sharing feature, so I'm not sure how useful it would be to plug the phone in to it.

It is unfortunate that the Mitel web UI is so limited and doesn't support logging or diagnostics.  I tried telnetting into it also but it seems to require a different username and password from "admin"/"5312".

Offline milkbadger

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 12:58:20 AM »
Some more updates: my phone rang one night due to a sipvicious scan from unknown origin out on the Internet.  This was a shock to me, as I hadn't configured any port forwarding.  Poking around, I discovered the existence of the SIP ALG feature, which Netgear apparently enables by default.

I disabled SIP ALG and also set up the phone as the "Default DMZ Server" in my router configuration so that no incoming traffic to it would be blocked, and power cycled everything.  Still no luck getting an outbound call to work.

I unplugged the phone and put it out on the curb.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10