Author Topic: Mailbox 9999 security issue  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Curtin_BPW

• View Profile
Mailbox 9999 security issue
« on: January 17, 2020, 01:43:26 PM »
I have a hotel customer that recently unplugged their fax machine. It is built as an analog extension in Form 09. After 4 rings Form 19 CFNA transfers the call to voicemail hunt group and mailbox 9999 default open system greeting plays the call. In that mailbox I can dial any extension including guestrooms. I want to lock that mailbox down from being able to call any extensions and/or have any calls that hit voicemail without a mailbox number to just go to the 0. Is there a way to set this.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Mailbox 9999 security issue
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 10:09:35 PM »
Honestly, not... But you don't seem to understand the issue. Calls are not going to mailbox 9999 (unless your fax extension was literally 9999), they are going to the general auto attendant, then going to Mailbox 0 and the extension associated with that mailbox.

Why not simply make it so the fax extension does not forward to VM (it's a simple tenant change), or if it's not being used, just delete the extension entirely?

I guess you could set digit restrictions to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0 and that would accomplish the same thing but your essentially disabling the auto attendant.

Offline Curtin_BPW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 10:24:19 AM »
I made the fax CFNA to a speed dial which circled back to the fax. Any other extensions without a voicemail box I will do the same. I tried the digit restrictions, but they didn't see to work.

The property wants to plug the fax in only occasionally.  Bit of a head scratcher on them, but once i noticed i could reach guestrooms from the AA I was concerned, in case anyone else landed in this default AA.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 07:04:34 PM »
You could place them in a tenant that doesn't forward

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 02:16:43 PM »
You could place them in a tenant that doesn't forward
This is the right answer. The system has all the tools built in to do this properly so why not use them?

It is way to easy for someone at the console to "accidentally" hit "CAN ALL CFD" and cancel all call forwarding, happens all the time... Years ago, before the voicemail options in Form 19, this used to take out all the VM forwarding. A real issues for a 300+ room hotel. I would show the front desk how to fix the first one via the console, then make them fix the rest... that FD person never made that mistake again.  ;)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10