Author Topic: No commas/periods in certain fields  (Read 966 times)

Offline jcatucci812

• Contributer
    • View Profile
No commas/periods in certain fields
« on: December 09, 2019, 12:54:41 PM »
Good afternoon,

I’m working in MiVoice Office 250 DB Programming (we recently upgraded) and noticed the system does not accept commas and other symbols in the Description and Username fields. The previous version accepted those characters. I searched the help topic within the system and Mitel states to not use control characters in the Description and Username fields, but I don't believe those are control characters. Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks in advance!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: No commas/periods in certain fields
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 09:33:37 PM »
Yeah that changed not long ago... I believe only - or _ are allowed in those fields now, maybe / but that is it. If you do a backup and database clean, it will clearly tell you what's messed up, and offer to correct it, then clean the database and restore... Should be good.

Just an FYI... always backup, clean, and restore when doing a significant upgrade.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 09:35:19 PM by acejavelin »

Offline jcatucci812

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 11:16:04 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Ace. You're always very helpful on these forums. Nevertheless, I'm about to provide a weird update. I ended up speaking with our phone vendor who has remote access to our system and funny enough he was able to add commas/periods to those fields on his end. I confirmed that he is using the same DB version as us. But neither myself nor my fellow coworker can add them. However, our vendor provided a workaround for me which did work. While in DB Programming, I went to View and enabled On-Line Monitor (which I've used before for other stuff), and then I was able to add commas/periods to the fields. He stated that it might be an issue due to a Windows Update or something, but for now that workaround will suffice. 

Any explanation for that? Because I'm pretty confused at this point, lol. I assumed it was an intended change by Mitel with the new version upgrade and then that excerpt in the help article about the control characters - something that you seemed to confirm, but now I have my phone vendor saying they still work for him, and then shows me a way to change them via on-line monitor. Gotta love technology.. :-\

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 07:29:43 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Ace. You're always very helpful on these forums. Nevertheless, I'm about to provide a weird update. I ended up speaking with our phone vendor who has remote access to our system and funny enough he was able to add commas/periods to those fields on his end. I confirmed that he is using the same DB version as us. But neither myself nor my fellow coworker can add them. However, our vendor provided a workaround for me which did work. While in DB Programming, I went to View and enabled On-Line Monitor (which I've used before for other stuff), and then I was able to add commas/periods to the fields. He stated that it might be an issue due to a Windows Update or something, but for now that workaround will suffice. 

Any explanation for that? Because I'm pretty confused at this point, lol. I assumed it was an intended change by Mitel with the new version upgrade and then that excerpt in the help article about the control characters - something that you seemed to confirm, but now I have my phone vendor saying they still work for him, and then shows me a way to change them via on-line monitor. Gotta love technology.. :-\
Oh yeah... commas are definitely allowed, especially in the description as it used for dial by name...

My guess is going to be the issue is a .NET problem... Either an update you have applied (or not applied) or a security issue. Try logging in as a local administrator and running the application perhaps?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10