Author Topic: Mitel Border Gateway - SIP Provider and WAN on seperate connections.  (Read 2418 times)

Offline bobr1

• View Profile
    • Conway Communications, Inc.
I currently have SIP trunks on a MiVo250.  They are provided thru a separate connection from my WAN connection.  I am currently NATing it thru my Firewall/Router.  This is working ok now, but I want to get the SIP service off of my router and onto its own gateway.  It seems that every time anyone does ANY programming on my router they somehow screw up the SIP trunks.

I would like to use the Mitel Border Gateway.  I am setting up one interface as a trusted network on the LAN Subnet (192.168.0.x) and the second interface as the SIP Provider connection.  The problem comes when I try to activate the MBG.  The MBG thinks the SIP connection is the Internet gateway and so it can not activate the license.

I can put three NIC cards in the MBG if that will help, I just dont know the best way to do this.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks!

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel Border Gateway - SIP Provider and WAN on seperate connections.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 06:56:21 PM »
you have a couple of options... 3 nics is one, lan, internet access, sip provider... and program the sip trunk to use the third nic..

the options is to use 2 nics, lan, sip provider... but connect to the internet to license/upgrade and then connect back to the trunking wan for service.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 07:03:17 PM »
I think you need to provide a bit more info. In standard server-gateway mode, the external nic ip address is the default route gateway. You could and a third nic, have one internal 2 a true external internet default route and the third going to sip. It depends on how this sip is coming in. if it is like AT&T where it has an external address but may only route back to AT&T, you may need to add the route. The MBG sip can be set to use the third nic

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 11:41:08 AM »
Add a static route to amc-sync.mitel.com (216.191.234.91) to use your LAN gateway... problem solved. We have a few locations that do this.

It is not ideal, but if you have other means of accessing the network and are only using it as a SIP gateway you should be fine.

Does the SIP hosting company provide an Adtran Netvanta or something similar for it's trunks, or is it an ISP handing off directly on a modem/ONT interface? If they are handing you off via a SIP gateway, ask them to change the address on the hand-off interface to one that is on your voice VLAN and ingress it directly, we do this for every install for 99% of our SIP trunking customers.

Honestly, it might be easier and more reliable to just get a hardware solution like a SIPerator or Adtran Netvanta 3140
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 11:50:08 AM by acejavelin »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10