Author Topic: Upgrading from 8.0 to 9.0  (Read 1831 times)

Offline VeeDubb65

• View Profile
Upgrading from 8.0 to 9.0
« on: October 17, 2019, 01:22:18 PM »
I'm doing the prep to upgrade from 8.0sp1 to the latest 9.0sp3.

Ideally, I want to run the upgrade myself, as I've done multiple past upgrades, but I understand that this upgrade is quite a bit more complicated, since you have to reflash the E2T card, and it switches to a very different underlying version of Linux.

Anybody done this upgrade without their Mitel VAR onsite?

It seems silly, but my biggest reason not to bring them on site is that I have to run stuff like that through my legal department, and it can literally take 6 months for them to approve something like that.

Anyway, the one bit I'm not totally clear on is the order of operations for upgrading the firmware. I got the overall install/upgrade docs, and separate docs just for upgrading the firmware.  Am I correct that the process is:

• Run software upgrade
  • Controller fails to fully boot because of old E2T firmware
  • Upgrade the firmware via serial cable
  • Reboot into newly upgraded (and hopefully working) 9.0 system

Offline VeeDubb65

• View Profile
Re: Upgrading from 8.0 to 9.0
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 03:18:50 PM »
Just in case anybody else gets to the same point, it turned out there was some FUD going on and the upgrade is pretty straight forward.

If you have an external DHCP server handing out addresses for your phone vlan, the migration tool just works. If you are only allowing the Mitel DHCP to hand out addresses for your phone vlan, you'll need to connect to the E2T card post-upgrade and manually set the ip information to static. Once you do that everyone is happy and it's no more difficult than any other upgrade.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 05:27:24 PM »
Remember that 9.X has been out a year or more now, when it first released, it could be a pretty bumpy ride in some situations, but it has gotten much better over time. Glad it worked out for you!

Offline VeeDubb65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 03:31:38 PM »
Remember that 9.X has been out a year or more now, when it first released, it could be a pretty bumpy ride in some situations, but it has gotten much better over time. Glad it worked out for you!

I can certainly imagine. Between the E2T changes, switching the underlying OS, moving some functionality (although less than I expected) to the Server Manager page, root logins that magically take on your password without telling you that they did, and all of that I can see how you could have a bumpy ride. It just turned out the bootloader upgrade wasn't as bumpy as I expected.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10