Author Topic: MXeII emergency replacement with MXe?  (Read 999 times)

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
MXeII emergency replacement with MXe?
« on: September 19, 2019, 05:49:51 PM »
Does anyone know if you could use an MXe controller as an emergency replacement for an MXeII? And by that I mean, could I just pull the HDD and SysID module from the MXeII and swap them into an MXe controller and go (assuming all other necessary hardware)?

The system isn't very large... maybe 60 or 70 phones with embedded VM, but it looks like the 2-port LAN switch in the MXeII controller is failing and they are going go to an MXeIII soon, but we don't have a II or III in stock at the moment due to other issues in the last few months.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: MXeII emergency replacement with MXe?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 06:49:13 PM »
I think you should be able to do this without issue.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 10:34:03 PM »
I think you should be able to do this without issue.
Luckily we wound up not having to do this, for the moment at least, the system just kind of became stable again for now (think the embedded 2-port switch is failing) so they are OK for the short term. Any hard reset of the controller creates havoc for hours, until you do a soft reset, then it's stable for days. Makes no sense but it is buying us enough time to get the customer to sign off on a new MXe III controller.

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 11:49:21 PM »
Could be a good opportunity to move away from hardware and build it as a virtual server instead?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 01:56:13 PM »
Could be a good opportunity to move away from hardware and build it as a virtual server instead?
Not likely... This site does not have a VM environment. I expect they will be upgrading to a MXe III in the near future, but only to the latest 8.0 software. They have 50 or so 5215/5220 sets and are not ready to upgrade them either, at least not in this budget year.

Offline PC77375

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 11:39:51 AM »
Ace- Are you seeing the LAN go down every XX minutes? I had an issue like this with one of my controllers and did the following until we were able to get it replaced-  in Vxworks, issue the command  period 840,mips_reset - this will reset the LAN port every 14 minutes(in seconds), or modify it to the "seconds" that work for you . Quick hiccup that no one will realize even happened. I used 14 minutes because our port would shut down every 15 minutes, like clockwork. This should stick until a controller reboot.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 01:22:20 PM »
Ace- Are you seeing the LAN go down every XX minutes? I had an issue like this with one of my controllers and did the following until we were able to get it replaced-  in Vxworks, issue the command  period 840,mips_reset - this will reset the LAN port every 14 minutes(in seconds), or modify it to the "seconds" that work for you . Quick hiccup that no one will realize even happened. I used 14 minutes because our port would shut down every 15 minutes, like clockwork. This should stick until a controller reboot.
No, in our case the port would go down about 30 minutes after a hard reset, unless you did a soft reset before that occurred, then it would be good until the next hard boot. Strangest thing I have ever seen.

The customer signed off on upgrading to an MXe III so we have one on order and will swap it out next week. Good to know though, I will try to remember that if I ever run into it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10