Author Topic: 3300 - Kari's Law  (Read 2233 times)

Offline PokerMunkee

• View Profile
3300 - Kari's Law
« on: September 16, 2019, 03:37:03 PM »
My Mitel rep wants to move us to a cloud based POS system, mainly because of Kari's 911 law.  We have 70 existing hotel rooms and will be adding another 100 in 24 months.

The 3300 works great and I have no desire to change over 200 phones and deal with my analog phones/alarms/etc I still have out there.

Surely there is a way with my 3300 to allow 911 dispatch to know which hotel room called 911?  Right now you can dial "911" and get to the operator, no 9911 required.

Am I missing something?  I also was under the impression that Kari's law applies to new hotels, not existing ones?

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 3300 - Kari's Law
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 06:35:09 PM »
What kind of trunks are you using? What version of software is the system running? You should be able to use CESID values, you may need additional DID numbers ideally you could either allow direct to room DID or have incoming go to the front desk

Offline PokerMunkee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 07:18:34 PM »
Currently using a PRI.  We have a block of 100 DIDs for office phones, but wouldn't mind buying 200 more for hotel rooms if that's what is needed.

Running 8.0 SP3 PR1.  Active Software Load 14.0.3.22.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 10:56:18 PM »
Currently using a PRI.  We have a block of 100 DIDs for office phones, but wouldn't mind buying 200 more for hotel rooms if that's what is needed.

Running 8.0 SP3 PR1.  Active Software Load 14.0.3.22.
This is exactly what you need to do, and then setup CESID for each room with a unique ID, and then have your carrier submit the necessary information to the 911 database (or coordinate with your local E911 coordinator, varies by location).

I am not entirely familiar with Kari's 911 law and how it applies to your specific situation and at what granularity. I would suggest contacting your local E911 Coordinator and working out the details.

My point is, other than needing more numbers, you have everything you need to be compliant all the way down to each device.

Offline PokerMunkee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 12:39:17 PM »
Thank you so much!  This gives me an idea on how to have my next conversation with them.

Here's some info on it:
https://www.govtech.com/em/next-gen-911/Getting-Through-to-911-Will-Become-Easier-Thanks-to-Karis-Law-.html

The law says that anyone installing, managing or operating multi-line telephone systems may not install manage or operate such a system unless it is configured such that the user can directly initiate a 911 call. This applies to anyone installing, manufacturing, first selling or leasing two years after the date of enactment of the act.

"There is also an onsite notification requirement in the law, Fletcher said, so that if someone in a hotel calls 911, someone onsite is notified of this and can prepare for the arrival of paramedics, an easy fix on a PBX system, he said."

Any idea how that's done in the 3300?

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 07:24:50 PM »
ARS digits dialed 911 and if common dialout is 9 add 9911. On ARS routes set up two emergency routes one that delets 0 didits and the other delets 1 I would use an unblocked cor. The digits dialed go to the respective route

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 10:08:09 AM »
Thank you so much!  This gives me an idea on how to have my next conversation with them.

Here's some info on it:
https://www.govtech.com/em/next-gen-911/Getting-Through-to-911-Will-Become-Easier-Thanks-to-Karis-Law-.html

The law says that anyone installing, managing or operating multi-line telephone systems may not install manage or operate such a system unless it is configured such that the user can directly initiate a 911 call. This applies to anyone installing, manufacturing, first selling or leasing two years after the date of enactment of the act.

"There is also an onsite notification requirement in the law, Fletcher said, so that if someone in a hotel calls 911, someone onsite is notified of this and can prepare for the arrival of paramedics, an easy fix on a PBX system, he said."

The CESID for the rooms also has to be a number that the call can be returned from 911 - so if your rooms are not directly callable (which is common at many hotels) the E911 number can be the "Central Location" (aka Front Desk) at the hotel. If it's big enough that you have 24/7 security that would be a viable option too since they are often in a position to respond even more quickly. That's also helpful to first responders because when they show up they may not know where room 330 is but the Front Desk/Security will.

This is directly from point 26 in FCC-19-76A1:
Accordingly, we clarify that the callback number, if provided, need not be a Direct Inward Dialing number to the 911 caller’s extension if a Direct Inward Dialing number is not available. This means, for example, that if the 911 call comes from a non Direct Inward Dialing number, the callback number in the notification can be an internal extension that can be directly reached from inside the enterprise but not from outside it.62 Similarly, a hotel that does not provide a Direct Inward Dialing line to each guest room can provide the number of a central location, such as the front desk, in the notification.

There was a big kerfuffle at Amazon because Security asked workers to call them first instead of 911 for an emergency. The logic was that these 2 million square foot warehouses have one address that responders come to and security may not even know a call was made. Security could both respond quickly and direct first responders to the exact location if they knew something was up.

It might be a fascinating subject to start a thread on.

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 10:17:57 AM »

Here's some info on it:

The CESID for the rooms also has to be a number that the call can be returned from 911 - so if your rooms are not directly callable (which is common at many hotels) the E911 number can be the "Central Location" (aka Front Desk) at the hotel. If it's big enough that you have 24/7 security that would be a viable option too since they are often in a position to respond even more quickly. That's also helpful to first responders because when they show up they may not know where room 330 is but the Front Desk/Security will.

This is directly from point 26 in FCC-19-76A1:
Accordingly, we clarify that the callback number, if provided, need not be a Direct Inward Dialing number to the 911 caller’s extension if a Direct Inward Dialing number is not available. This means, for example, that if the 911 call comes from a non Direct Inward Dialing number, the callback number in the notification can be an internal extension that can be directly reached from inside the enterprise but not from outside it.62 Similarly, a hotel that does not provide a Direct Inward Dialing line to each guest room can provide the number of a central location, such as the front desk, in the notification.

There was a big kerfuffle at Amazon because Security asked workers to call them first instead of 911 for an emergency. The logic was that these 2 million square foot warehouses have one address that responders come to and security may not even know a call was made. Security could both respond quickly and direct first responders to the exact location if they knew something was up.

It might be a fascinating subject to start a thread on.

They may also require room number in dispatchable location so that's interesting. I'm curious though as to what the cloud system could do that the 3300 doesn't.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10