Author Topic: Set FQDN against local Network Element (vMiVB V9)  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Livewired-uk

• View Profile
Set FQDN against local Network Element (vMiVB V9)
« on: September 15, 2019, 09:25:42 AM »
Hi.

Hopefully not missing something obvious here although I may not be able to see the wood for the trees!

We have a network issue which setting an FQDN against the MiVBs will hopefully resolve.

This is simple for remote Network Elements however for the local one the system help says...

"To change the local system's IP address, host or domain name, use the Server Manager application."

I've had a look and can't identify where in the MSL Server Manager this can be changed.  I would assume in V8 it would be modified in the blade panel although never had the need.  I've checked Server Console (just in case) but couldn't see anything in there either.

The MSL is resolving DNS locally and Hostnames have been correctly configured and confirmed as working through pings.

Any help would be appreciated, although I'm suspecting that this may not be possible for the MiVBs and only for other element types and the help note is just a generic message for all element types.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Set FQDN against local Network Element (vMiVB V9)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 05:04:42 PM »
Missing info and as to why this might resolve issue. Where a host name can be configured and resolution by an MSL server goes, this should not be an issue IMHO

Offline Livewired-uk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 03:22:44 AM »
Essentially we've lost the MPLS between 2 datacentres and it may take some time to implement as such the GARID has gone into license violation.  I can route this in another way temporarily publicly but need to do so through FQDN.

We have other options but they involve a third party, all I care about is the licence violation resilience isn't an issue at this stage.

Not that all this really matters as all I need to know is if it can be done?

Offline zac1234

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 05:56:59 PM »
Go back in to the Server Console and select option 2, Configure this server.  The first two things to change are the domain and hostname.  Skip past the rest.  You will have to reboot the system at the end.

That being said, I'm not sure that using DNS will necessarily resolve the issue.  It might be better to temporarily setup a VPN to connect the two sites.  Other than that, I suppose that you could do some port forwarding, but that seems like a bad idea.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10