Author Topic: 6940 Sip phone Intercom/Outside calls ringing through..  (Read 1148 times)

Offline subdivisions

• Contributer
    • View Profile
6940 Sip phone Intercom/Outside calls ringing through..
« on: September 11, 2019, 12:14:21 PM »
Have an issue.. Upgraded a user from a 5360, to a 6940 SIP phone, and everything working except 1 thing that is different.  I have set in the configuration for calls to NOT auto answer just FYI.  On the 5360, intercom calls would beep and then autoanswer to speaker.  Transferred calls from reception or another phone would Ring, then you would have to manual answer.  We want that configuration.. Is this not dooable on the 6940's?  In the config profile i see SIP ALLOW AUTO ANSWER, which is set to FALSE because the user doesn't want calls that are transferred to automatically answer on her phone (she may want to send it to voice mail etc..)..  In the instructions this setting says its for INTERCOM calls, but its doing it to transsferred calls also??  I also see there is an SIP INTERCOM LINE setting but its not in the profile, i dont know if that could help the situation.

Appreicate the insight.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: 6940 Sip phone Intercom/Outside calls ringing through..
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 11:08:25 PM »
No, you cannot do voice intercom (auto answer internal calls) with SIP devices on the MiVO250.

I have a really tough time with the 6900 series on the MIVO250... you call it an upgrade, but I call it a downgrade.

Regardless, there are just some things the 6900 series phones cannot do on the MiVO250, and unless they make MiNet mode possible (which I am told they won't on this platform) those things just won't happen.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 6940 Sip phone Intercom/Outside calls ringing through..
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 06:45:09 AM »
subdivisions,

I think the issue with understanding the power of SIP comes down to how it actually works. SIP is a distributed logic based system and traditional telephony is a centralized logic based system.

The issue you are running into here is that the SIP device, 6940, doesn't know the difference between an intercom call and a transfer because there isn't any access to the OAI or MiNet stream to tell it that the transferring station is setting up to divert a call to it versus just calling it. All it has to go off of is its SIP dialog which is telling it that the transferring extension is trying to call it, which it is prior to the transfer, and it will auto answer.

Think of it this way, if the person that was transferring the call wanted to announce the call first what would happen?

1. They hit the transfer button which puts the originating call on hold.
2. They dial the extension of the person they are transferring the call to.
---The MiVO-250 knows the difference between an Intercom Call and the setup of a Transfer which it would need to in order to offer System Forwarding features; the SIP device doesn't.
3. The phone at the other ends sees an Intercom Call from the transferring station and rings if it has System Forwarding setup.
---If the system flag Handsfree Announce on System Forward Transfer is set to Yes then the System Forwarding of the phone is ignored and the call will be Auto Answered by the station IF their Station flag Handsfree Announce is set to yes AND the transferring station's Ring Intercom Always flag is set to No. Depending on how this is all configured there are different scenarios as to what happens if the call isn't answered.
4. When the call is answered the two phones are on an Intercom call until the transferring station hangs up to complete the transfer.
---At this point it depends on some flags of the station being transferred to what actually happens.
---If the station flag of the user who is being transferred to has their Transfer to Connect flag set to Yes then the person being transferred is immediately connected and they are talking to each other.
---If the Transfer to Connect flag is set to No then the users phone that the call is being transferred to starts to ring and they have to answer it.
---Now, if the person who the call was being transfer to hangs up prior to the user transferring the call then the transfer is canceled; because the call was rejected.

There is no way for the MiVO-250 to convey the difference between an Intercom call and the Intercom portion of a Transfer to a SIP device as the initial INVITE method for both are the same in a SIP dialog.

Thanks,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10