Author Topic: logs overrun with Device Detection entries..  (Read 1268 times)

Offline TelephoneJack

• View Profile
logs overrun with Device Detection entries..
« on: September 04, 2019, 02:37:40 PM »
I have a customer with an MXe-III running MiVB 8.0 SP3. The log file is 100 pages of the following type of entry:
"An IP device, with DN XXXX, registered at CDP L2 MAC address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, CDP L2 Port Gi1/0/24, CDP L2 IP Address: 192.168.20.6"
There are about 100 extensions and they all just keep cycling through continuously with no change to the actual mac address or port information so the logs only show the last 15 to 20 minutes of this activity. Is that normal? And can I turn it off somehow?

Offline zac1234

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Re: logs overrun with Device Detection entries..
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 05:22:18 PM »
Is CDP enabled globally on the PoE switches?  I'm pretty sure that I've experienced the same thing a year ago.  CDP was disabled globally on the switch and the logs stopped after re-enabling it.  Be sure to enable it globally and not on an interface level.  I'm assuming that this is a Cisco switch, or some switch that supports CDP.  Depending on the switch, there might not be a web GUI.  In that case you'll have to connect to it via SSH or through the console port.  You would enter "enable" (hit enter) then "configure terminal" (hit enter) to enter global config mode.  Then enter "cdp run" (hit enter).  Wait a bit and see if the logs stop.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10