Author Topic: Mitel SX-50 Maid Functions and PMS Compatibility  (Read 1923 times)

Offline newhotelmanager

• View Profile
Mitel SX-50 Maid Functions and PMS Compatibility
« on: June 29, 2019, 01:43:58 AM »
Does the SX-50 system support maid clean, dirty, occupied room function? For example, could a maid punch a code into a room phone and it would register the room as dirty or clean based on code used? From the PBX, the front desk could check the status of the rooms. I tried looking at the manual online, but found nothing of note. I'm guessing it probably doesn't do this. We currently use this system and while it's old, it serves our needs for now. I was hoping someone could clear this up and give me some suggestions.

Another thing I wanted to know about is does the SX-50 have any PMS compatibility. Could it do the above with PMS support? Maid punches code in, then room is registered as clean, then information is sent to PMS and room status updated. I'm assuming this is out of reach, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Mitel SX-50 Maid Functions and PMS Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 08:11:41 AM »
Does the SX-50 system support maid clean, dirty, occupied room function? For example, could a maid punch a code into a room phone and it would register the room as dirty or clean based on code used? From the PBX, the front desk could check the status of the rooms. I tried looking at the manual online, but found nothing of note. I'm guessing it probably doesn't do this. We currently use this system and while it's old, it serves our needs for now. I was hoping someone could clear this up and give me some suggestions.

Another thing I wanted to know about is does the SX-50 have any PMS compatibility. Could it do the above with PMS support? Maid punches code in, then room is registered as clean, then information is sent to PMS and room status updated. I'm assuming this is out of reach, but doesn't hurt to ask.
Wow... I haven't seen an SX-50 in years, Think we took the last one in our service area out ~2014 or so, but I installed and maintained TONS of them mostly in hospitality environments.

I will answer your questions, but first I am going to HIGHLY recommend you put a plan in place to replace that phone system... The MItel SX-50 was introduced in 1987 and has been discontinued by the manufacturer for nearly 20 years now (~2000) and the one you have has likely been in service for closer to 30. The average life of a digital phone system like this is typically <15 years, although this system tends to have a long life it will fail eventually. Most phone vendors do not stock systems large enough to replace this anymore, so you could be without phones for a week or more if it fails and have a surprise bill you don't expect for a pretty sizeable chunk of change. I am not trying to scare you, but consider it a planning item for the next couple of budget years and start getting some quotes and thinking ahead. Just my two cents worth here.

Maid in Room status is supported on this system... if you have MS55 software and it is programmed accordingly, this is supported by connecting a printer to the RS-232 port, it will print an update (Room 124 Maid Status 3) or something like that, and you can print a Room Status report from the console. It is very simplistic.

As far as PMS integration... Initially it did not, but in later versions yes it does support it, partially... *IF* you have MS55 software, and a DNIC card, and a DNIC dataset, you can do basic PMS integration, but if I recall correctly it only supports Check In/Out (to turn the phone on and off) and Set/Clear Wakeup, but does not support Msg Waiting On/Off or Maid In Room status updates. Remember that when this system was designed ion the mid-1980's and for it's original market of <50 room hotel or small-mid size office, having a PMS system to integrate to was essentially unheard of, hotel's at that time and price level didn't have the "sophisticated systems" of the larger hotels and resorts, nor was it deemed necessary at the time as many hotel's didn't even have a computer at all.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 08:13:42 AM by acejavelin »

Offline newhotelmanager

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 01:58:27 AM »
Not sure if you see my replies, as I'm unfamiliar with how this forum works, but I was hoping you could answer some questions I have. How do I know MS55 software is programmed on our system? I believe our printing function is no longer working as nothing prints out when anything is done like say a wake-up call. When I first started working at this hotel, it used to print a room number and wake up call time along with the time the function was processed. It doesn't do that anymore. I'm worried the phone system is starting to fail and this is the start, but I will check the printer and other possible points of failure.

Based on what you said about the PMS integration, I will ignore that. I don't even know what a DNIC card is.

I was looking at a simplified manual for the SX-50 from some communication company and it mentions that there is a code +1 that the maid inputs to change the status of a room from dirty to clean. How do I set up this code?

Looking at replacement down the road, how should I plan this? I obviously can't replace this system right away, but what phone systems should I look into. We have 45 rooms, so we are not a large property. I would like a system that has modern features like caller ID, PMS integration, easy maid/room status features, etc.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 10:20:53 AM »
Not sure if you see my replies, as I'm unfamiliar with how this forum works, but I was hoping you could answer some questions I have. How do I know MS55 software is programmed on our system? I believe our printing function is no longer working as nothing prints out when anything is done like say a wake-up call. When I first started working at this hotel, it used to print a room number and wake up call time along with the time the function was processed. It doesn't do that anymore. I'm worried the phone system is starting to fail and this is the start, but I will check the printer and other possible points of failure.

Based on what you said about the PMS integration, I will ignore that. I don't even know what a DNIC card is.

I was looking at a simplified manual for the SX-50 from some communication company and it mentions that there is a code +1 that the maid inputs to change the status of a room from dirty to clean. How do I set up this code?

Looking at replacement down the road, how should I plan this? I obviously can't replace this system right away, but what phone systems should I look into. We have 45 rooms, so we are not a large property. I would like a system that has modern features like caller ID, PMS integration, easy maid/room status features, etc.
Honestly, programming on the SX50 is not very easy for a "layperson".... I am not trying to be insulting or degrading in anyway but programming this thing is a kind of a nightmare if you don't know what you are doing as you MUST have a book because everything is in a COMMAND-REGISTER-VALUE numeric format, and there is no PC or text interface, for example, Feature Access Codes (where the Maid In Room FAC would be) looks something like "Command 110, Register 31, Value 747" but you couldn't know any of that without a manual to match your software, as MS50, MS51/52, MS53+ all have different registry layouts (although very few pre MS-53 system are still operating). Be aware that poking around in the programming without knowing what you are doing could easily render the system inoperable, one wrong change in a system register can be disastrous and impossible for a untrained person to identify sometimes.

But the default Maid In Room Feature Code is 747 and is usually setup by default unless the installer specifically changed it, and beyond that Mitel uses industry standard status codes

1 - MAID PRESENT
2 - CLEAN
3 - NOT CLEAN
4 - OUT OF SERVICE
5 - TO BE INSPECTED

So once Room Status is enabled in the system, a maid can enter the room and pickup the phone and dial 747-1 to say they are in the room, and 747-2 to say it clean... If they leave the room (for a break for example), they enter 747-3 when they leave and 747-1 when they are back. If you have a housekeeping inspector, the maid would mark the room as ready to be inspected with 747-5 and the inspector would check the room and dial 747-2.

But without a working printer interface, this is essentially worthless... the SX-50 doesn't have a Hospitality console (not talking about an attendant console) so everything is printed out the serial port to a serial printer.

As far as a new system, the easiest to move to for most people with an SX-50 is the SX-200 ICP or a small MiVoice Business system, and you will find all of the features you are looking for in either of those. The SX-200 is likely to be a little cheaper and is no longer being actively developed and maintained, but it is the definitive small hospitality switch for properties under ~180 rooms, Mitel has tried to kill it many times but the demand is just too high and they have continued it. It is the standard worldwide for HM properties, every PMS, POS, and Call Cost Accounting related to the hospitality industry supports it... The MiVoice Business (old Mitel 3300) has wide hospitality support as well, but is more geared toward larger properties (150-5600 rooms).

I would just contact some reputable vendor(s) with a couple hours of your location and get some quotes and information.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 10:23:05 AM by acejavelin »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10