Author Topic: different phone for staff member now "Dial by Name" is pointing at old extension  (Read 1003 times)

Offline thebravedave

• View Profile

Hello, I am new to Mitel phones.
I was not in charge of the phone system, but an employee quit and now they put me in charge of it.
I did not set up our phone system.
We have an auto attendant, and one of the options is to choose an extension by the first 3 letters of their first name.
This was set up by someone else (after reading through a ton of info online still can't figure out how it works).
One of our staff member's Mitel 5320 phones died and I replaced it with a spare we have.  His extension was x104 now it is x118.  His phone works just fine, incoming calls go to his phone, and voicemails get added to his voicemail extension that he can check.

When someone calls the auto attendant and gets employee by first 3 letters of the first name for our staff member who was @ 104 and now is @ 118
the person calling in gets directed to x104 instead of x118.
Obviously I need to change his extension in the "Dian by Name" system.
I don't know how this works though and reading through a ton of manuals online did not help.
Can someone help me figure this out?

Thanks!!!

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Dial by name is based on the mailbox name. Was mailbox 104 deleted?

Why would you change someone's extension number because their phone died? That makes no sense.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
thebravedave,

Well, I have to agree with DND ON in why did you change their extension number from 104 to 118? Regardless, if the mailbox is associated with a phone, meaning the extension and the mailbox have the same number, then you just need to change the name on the old extension 104.

Go to System > Devices and Feature Codes > Phones

Look for 104 in the list and in the Description Field you will see the persons name in the this format: lastname, firstname

If you single left-click on the Description Field you can change the name to whatever you want and that will also change the mailboxes name.

If their is not extension 104 in the Phones section then you have an Unassociated mailbox and you have to make that change in the Voice Processor.

Go to Voice Processor > Devices > Mailboxes

Look for mailbox 104 and change the name just like you would have under Phones

Thanks,

TE

Offline thebravedave

• View Profile

Hello, I followed your advice.

"Go to System > Devices and Feature Codes > Phones"
Changed x104 to have Description=~Intern1 Username =Intern1
Changed x118 from Description=Intern1 Username = Intern1 to Description="Firstname, Lastname"

Then your comment
"Go to Voice Processor > Devices > Mailboxes"
x104 in this section did have his FirstName,LastName in the description and his "FirstName" in the Username.  I changed that to ~Intern1/Intern1"
x118 did not have an entry in the Mailboxes section.  From this post: http://mitelforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=7109.0
I deleted x118 from Processor -> Devices -> Extension IDs
Which then allowed me to create a mailbox for x118 in Go to Voice Processor > Devices > Mailboxes
I then checked the forwarding path of x118 in System -> Devices and Feature Codes -> Phones and x118 did not have a forwarding path set up.  I
created one (Forwarding Path = 1, Description = To Voice Mail")

I then tried to call our number, got the autoattendant, chose dial by name, the employees name was brought up to make sure I had the right person (and the name was correct), I then hit pound to connect me to the person and instead of ringing it goes directly to voice mail.
I then call our number and instead of doing dial by name I just put in the extension x118 and it rings to his phone right away and he picks up, so I know the dial by name is still trying to connect to some phone that is not his x118 extension.

The one answer by DND ON says that Call by name uses the name on the mailbox, but those are all set up properly now and I think call by name uses some other method other than "Mailboxes" or it would connect the employee's call by name to the right extension.  Was the first person wrong about this and Call by name uses some other method other than Mailboxes to load the list that is displayed in Call by Name?  We have another employee who left our organization and I can't find her anywhere in the
Mitel system (System->Devices and Feature Codes->Phones OR "Voice Processor->Devices->Mailboxes" OR "Processor->Devices ->Extension IDs") and she still shows up as an option in the Call by name.

I would appreciate any further advice (and thanks for responding so quickly).

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
thebravedave,

Alright, it sounds as though your database is corrupted as you should not be able to change the description of a mailbox that has the same number as an extension. In your description of events you stated that you changed x104 under Phones and then you had to change it again under Mailboxes and that shouldn't be the case so you need to delete mailbox 104 and recreate it.

As for where the Directory comes from it isn't exactly totally accurate that it is ONLY Mailboxes; it also comes from Extension IDs. You may want to verify that there are no Extension IDs or Mailboxes that would match with the name you are providing; by default it matches with last name.

Also, if you just created a mailbox for x118 then it wouldn't have been setup by the user and there wouldn't be a recorded directory name setup so it should have gave you a default recording name of mailbox 118 instead of the users name; they need to setup their mailbox.

Since it can be assumed that your database is corrupted then it may be best to call in a certified Mitel technician to look at your system. At the least they should export it, test it, and reload it back into the system.

Thanks,

TE

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Another possibility is the user has their name recorded in the wrong mailbox or in multiple mailboxes.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10