Author Topic: Migrating from MXE to MXE III chassis  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Lorax77

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Migrating from MXE to MXE III chassis
« on: June 10, 2019, 01:12:28 PM »
I have a customer that I need to migrate the 8.0 SP1 database from a MXE to a MXE III controller.

My current thought is to upgrade the MXE III to 8.0 SP1 then back up the current database and restore it into the new controller.  Then clear and re-sync the hardware ID.

My half backed thought is to move the Raid board, drives, and the i-button to the new controller and then after power up presto it all works.

The customer being out of service is not an issue as i will be able to take the controller back to the lab and do all of this over a weeks time.

Any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Migrating from MXE to MXE III chassis
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 07:13:00 PM »
If they are under software assurance, I would put the latest version of 8 on the new controller with the current system address and program the dns settings, backup the old, shut down old, move iButton from old to new, license and restore. The raid controller cannot be moved.

The key is to make the ip address the same before any restore. You could also do a backup, reset hardware id on AMC Licenses new controller and restore then just shutdown old and swap. This way the stickers on the controller will match ibutton. I myself don't use any sticker value to determine the id
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:16:17 PM by acejavelin »

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 07:43:44 PM »
Personally, I find resetting the hardware ID in AMC is perfectly straightforward so I prefer to do that, as I don't need to put my hands on the controller to do it.

Offline Lorax77

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 06:34:10 PM »
John/vince,

Thanks for the information!  I will follow the path with the reset hardware ID and make sure i have the same IP address on both systems.  This will be done sometime in August.  Thanks again for the replies!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10