Author Topic: Mitel MiVoice Office 250 - swap two extensions  (Read 4337 times)

Offline twagner

• View Profile
Mitel MiVoice Office 250 - swap two extensions
« on: May 02, 2019, 04:14:01 PM »
Request came in to swap two extensions. We can always swap the wires in the phone closet, but this defeats the purpose of having the mgt software. Unfortunately I have not done this before and want to make sure I do this the correct way and don't get to hold two broken pieces afterward.

What is the best way two swap two extensions in the software? I am running version 6.3.83.0

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel MiVoice Office 250 - swap two extensions
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 04:57:35 PM »
twagner,

First of all the best way is to swap the cross connects at the MDF. The next best way is to do it at the admin phone with the phone swap feature. The worst way to do it is via the database management tool.

If you insist on going this route then you are in for a bumpy ride.

1. Figure out and copy down all of the programming for the phones.
2. Figure out if the phones are within any call flows throughout the system.
3. Delete both phones
4. Verify that the mailboxes still exist as disassociated mailboxes; if you accidentally deleted them then they lost everything.
5. Manually recreate both phones on the opposite PLID
6. Make sure to Associate the mailbox to the phones when you try to reuse the extension.
7. Verify the mailbox is now associated with the phone.
8. Reprogram the phones back to their original programming.
9. Add the phones back into any call flows they were removed from.
10. Cross your fingers and hope you didn't miss anything.

Good Luck,

TE

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 09:08:04 PM »
If you're on site, doing a station swap on the admin phone is the absolute easiest way to accomplish it.

Offline NEPhoneGuy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 10:06:11 AM »
Quite a tedious process - the admin phone swap is the way to go it seems.

On a few other systems you can assign circuits and not have to delete/recreate but they don't have the admin phone swap.

twagner,

First of all the best way is to swap the cross connects at the MDF. The next best way is to do it at the admin phone with the phone swap feature. The worst way to do it is via the database management tool.

If you insist on going this route then you are in for a bumpy ride.

1. Figure out and copy down all of the programming for the phones.
2. Figure out if the phones are within any call flows throughout the system.
3. Delete both phones
4. Verify that the mailboxes still exist as disassociated mailboxes; if you accidentally deleted them then they lost everything.
5. Manually recreate both phones on the opposite PLID
6. Make sure to Associate the mailbox to the phones when you try to reuse the extension.
7. Verify the mailbox is now associated with the phone.
8. Reprogram the phones back to their original programming.
9. Add the phones back into any call flows they were removed from.
10. Cross your fingers and hope you didn't miss anything.

Good Luck,

TE

Offline magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 12:13:42 PM »
That does seem a very tedious process.

Can't you just renumber phone A to be a different extension. Then number phone B to have phone A extension. Then Change phone A to phone B?

it wouldn't change any of the buttons and is basically what the admin swap is doing.

Offline NEPhoneGuy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 02:18:39 PM »
I guess I don't know what is the big deal with doing the admin phone swap method?

Can't you just renumber phone A to be a different extension. Then number phone B to have phone A extension. Then Change phone A to phone B?

it wouldn't change any of the buttons and is basically what the admin swap is doing.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 10:39:57 PM »

Nope. The mailboxes won't move, so they will be associated with the wrong phone. Any keymaps, DSS keys, hunt groups, attendant stations, etc, etc, etc won't follow. This is the worst method availabe to swap extensions.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 12:59:40 PM »
Guys,

The reason I put the phone swap feature as second is because the phones may not be the same style and then you are not able to swap them; I have seen customers try this. Even if they are you need to make sure they take their phone with them to make sure the same amount of buttons are involved; as well as the labeling. A basic and executive phone will swap, but the basic won't show all of the keys or even have a display for that matter.

I look at it this way, most customers have no idea what is really going on with their phone system or how it work; that is why we exist. If we provide blanket statements then it will most likely work for most things, but not all, and that is where you get caught.

Even swapping the cross connects will have the same issue as a phone swap feature if they don't move the phones around, but the guy doing the cross connect swap should know to do that; unless it is the customer.

My worst nightmare is a customer with tools and an over abundant sense of capability mixed with a complete lack of understanding or misinformation. It makes me shudder to even think about it.

Thanks,

TE

Offline mattybrownuk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 02:07:18 PM »
I go into the database programming, phones, select the first extension, remove the associated MAC address, then do the same for the second extension.  Then visit the extensions and key in the passcodes ***extno.  If physical access is an issue, I can copy down the MAC address before clearing it and switch them out myself.  I don’t know why there isn’t a feature in database programming to do this swap over automatically.

Am i doing it wrong?

Offline NEPhoneGuy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 02:58:35 PM »
I go into the database programming, phones, select the first extension, remove the associated MAC address, then do the same for the second extension.  Then visit the extensions and key in the passcodes ***extno.  If physical access is an issue, I can copy down the MAC address before clearing it and switch them out myself.  I don’t know why there isn’t a feature in database programming to do this swap over automatically.

Am i doing it wrong?

Sounds like your talking about IP phones. I think this thread is with digital or single line involving cross connect.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 03:39:19 PM »
Yep. For IP phones, have the end users move their phone when they move their coffee cup.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10