Author Topic: Computer nerd question for you phone system pros  (Read 1683 times)

Offline rdpern

• View Profile
Computer nerd question for you phone system pros
« on: April 30, 2019, 10:50:49 AM »
Good Morning!

Looking for a little validation on a new Mitel phone system my main client had installed. The system is a 5000 series, which upon further investigation shows is from the intertel line (i think).

What we need: As a law firm we track all phone calls with client/matter numbers. The system is setup as the users being able to skip dialing one and they can just dial the 10 digit number, which allows them to bypass the call accounting system.

The phone vendor is stating that the system has no way to force a user to have to dial one before a 10 digit number. He states we have to call the carrier and force it at the carrier level.

This is the system:

Mitel 5000 series
Mitel MiVoice Office 250
Tapit Nova Call Accounting 

Is this correct? Our very old Iwatsu system had this ability,it is hard to believe a current technology system does not allow for this, which is why I am here :)

Thanks for your expertise, if I left out any info, just let me know.

Rich

Offline Magpye

• View Profile
Re: Computer nerd question for you phone system pros
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 11:10:23 AM »
Hi Rich,

Not only could the system force users to put in a 1 by denying them the ability to dial without it in Classes of Service it could insert the 1 automatically if the user doesn't put it in using facility groups under ARS (Automatic Route Selection).

Its relatively straight forward to program for any qualified Mitel 250 Tech.

Offline rdpern

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 11:16:41 AM »
Thanks!

I thought that sounded fishy.

/Rich

Offline rdpern

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 03:04:55 PM »
This was his reply:

"Richard,

I tried something like that several months ago. The issue was with the 69 series phones not following the system settings since they get their dial plan from the Phone Manager. I’m currently trying a different approach in my office. I’ll let you k now the outcome."

Does that make sense on the handset model?

Thanks,
R

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 09:45:37 PM »
rdpern,

I think I may be misunderstanding something here so I will explain what I know and go from there.

If the user is able to dial a 10-digit number without 1 and it goes through then it is considered a local call or possibly an on-net call if the trunking is SIP; either way it works. As for forcing the carrier to force you to use a 1 on a local or on-net call; most likely isn't happening.

The MiVO-250 requires at least 1 home area code for identifying local calls. It also allows up to 15 additional home area codes. The system refers to these area codes for toll restriction and call cost. Note that the first area code programming behaves differently than the next 15 home area codes. For the first area code programming, the area code digits are stripped from the dialed outgoing number. Other home area codes serve to identify local calls, but are still dialed. If local 10-digit dialing is always required despite the area codes, do not list an area code in the first home area code.

This is located in System > Numbering Plan > Home Area Codes

Now there is the matter of how they setup the Area Flags

Office Codes Used As Area Codes: Yes (Default)
Area Codes Used As Office Codes: Yes (Default)
Local 7/10 Digit Dialing: No (Default)
Toll Digit Allowed On Toll Local Calls: No (Default)
Toll Digit Required On Toll Long Distance: Yes (Default)

The first 2 entries are just so the system can determine end-of-dialing detection based on the NANP and in North American should mostly just be left alone at Yes. Most vendors in North American will also change the Local 7/10 Digit Dialing to Yes as well since the FCC no longer supports 7 Digit Local Call Dialing; even though the local CO may. The remaining 2 entries are also, usually, set to No as well in North America for obvious reasons, but they could leave Toll Digit Required On Toll Long Distance set to Yes, but they users may run into a problem we have in the St. Louis Area where some Area Codes are both Local and Long Distance.

This is located in System > Numbering Plan > Area Flags

Although Magpye is correct that you could setup some custom Class of Services with Deny and Allow rules that would be going a little overboard with the programming; in my opinion. If you were going to do that it would be best to just create a Dial Plan within ARS that inserts the 1 for those calls that you want to have it, but that would a lot of programming as well; I would still be hesitant though.

The reason I would be hesitant to create a lot of programming is that I don't see how this is by-passing a call accounting system. It is the very nature of a call accounting system is to track all the calls regardless if they have are Local, Toll-Free, Long-Distance or International.

What exactly isn't happening that they are blaming the MiVO-250 programming? Are we confusing Account Codes with Call Accounting maybe?

Thanks,

TE

Offline Magpye

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 04:28:49 AM »
The easiest thing for them to do would be to create a new dial rule to insert the digit 1.
Then add this dial rule in the local dialling facility group so that when the system sends the call out it adds a 1 infront of the local number.
Then it is only 2 forms on the system that need changing.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 06:41:31 AM »
Magpye,

What are you going to do about all the valid local calls that don't allow a 1?

Thanks,

TE

Offline Magpye

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 08:09:34 AM »
From what Rich said all calls including local need to be sent out with a 1.

If not then it'd just be the creation of an extra route/facility group to do this.

Offline rdpern

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 12:13:23 PM »
Thanks Guys, yall are awesome. Magpie, I am sorry if I communicated that improperly, we do not want to have to dial 1 for local 7 digit dialing, the call accounting is only (supposed to be) set to tract LD calls.

Of course, if the staff would just use "1" we would be ok, but you know how attorneys are.

This is the latest from the phone tech:

"I continued to work on the dialing issue, trying the forced dial 1 for LD, however that didn’t work. On our system our office a worked with several settings and the dial rules to make the LD without a leading 1 connect as LD and require the Acct code (Matter Code).             

I found a solution  to the dialing issue where everyone can dial as they have been. Long distance can be dialed with or without a leading 1, and will require a code to be input. The only stipulation is that local 7 digit calls take a bit longer to connect (about 5 seconds) due to dialing rules."

So it looks like with your help he is thinking out of the box and making headway.

Again, thanks for the input and I will keep you guys updated on progress. If you ever need any help with IP, routing etc, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Rich

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 12:32:53 PM »
rdpern,

Although I believe we are still missing something here have your technician try this.

Go to System > Numbering Plan > Area Flags and set the following

Office Codes Used As Area Codes: Yes (Default)
Area Codes Used As Office Codes: Yes (Default)
Local 7/10 Digit Dialing: Yes (Not Default)
Toll Digit Allowed On Toll Local Calls: No (Default)
Toll Digit Required On Toll Long Distance: Yes (Default)

Then go to System > Numbering Plan > Home Area Codes

Clear out all entries so the system doesn't know what Area Code local calls starts with. There will be a delay in dialing out as the system doesn't know what to do with the digits being dialed.

If they want to get fancy then you can have them change their Local Route Group to only send calls to the Local Facility Group if they start with the local area code. Here is where there may be issues with understanding the what is considered Local and what is considered LD to the carrier.

I still can't believe that this is an issue that needs to be resolved through "odd" programming of the system; never heard of it. If this were truly an issue the technician should call Mitel to work with them and not ask for help online from people who aren't seeing the whole picture.

Thanks,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10