Author Topic: PRI to SIP  (Read 2363 times)

Offline katycomputer

• View Profile
PRI to SIP
« on: April 24, 2019, 01:21:30 PM »
My church has a Mitel 5000HX Windstream is charging them $600 per month for a few inbound trunks and 20 DIDs.

It seems like we should switch to sip trunking, the license to enable sip trunking is as much as a device from Patton or Edgemarc.

What are the pros and cons of using an external devices versus terminating directly on the Mitel?

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: PRI to SIP
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 01:52:08 PM »
I've used Pattons before and found them quite reliable. As with any device in the chain it's an extra point of failure to contend with and an extra thing to configure. Some carriers can give you a PRI handoff from SIP trunks. It might be worth asking about.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 06:26:14 PM »
I would use an Adtran 908e myself. Most carriers use them and their support is one of the best in the business.

Offline katycomputer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 11:07:32 PM »
Thanks.

Offline NEPhoneGuy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 09:45:03 AM »
In this neck of the woods - Windstream is fiber to the building and uses Adtran as a edge device and to handoff whatever is needed (analog, PRI or SIP)

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 02:58:15 PM »
I would vote Adtran as well... We are also a hosted SIP provider, and all of our SIP trunking uses an Adtran devices... I would highly recommend using a TA900 series device.

Offline PC77375

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 09:14:11 AM »
@Zulu- "Some carriers can give you a PRI handoff from SIP trunks"- I think the problem with this is cost as well. OP is paying $600 per month now and wants to reduce costs. I think this is also a misconception with SIP trunking. It is not always cheaper when you start factoring everything in. Example- just switched from AT&T PRI to Centurylink voice complete; PRI handoff was cheaper than SIP all the way through. They used Verizon for the PRI handoff, and 3 PRI handoffs were WAY cheaper than the 10 Mbps internet drop that they proposed. Considering the points of failure as well- SBC and Firewall. The SBC would be managed by me, the Firewall NOT. And then comes the issue of who is responsible for this data connectivity, me or my network group? Additional issue would be infosec- Constant justification to infosec that the connection is secure, all devices are secure and up to date. It's enough now that there is a HUGE issue with SIPVicious scans, I believe they reported at least 10k hits per day, and asked me what I am going to do stop them. Silly question really....I can't stop them. I rely on the firewall as my edge, so the question is "what are you doing to protect me?" This is where things get really grey. Getting off-track here. Cost, security, ROI...figure out what is best for you. I was speaking to someone just the other day about this. They did a trial of Twilio and saw 3000 scans within 6 hours(mostly originating from China), so they unplugged it; saving a few bucks wasn't worth the risk to them.

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 09:56:57 AM »
That's a good point. I have found SIP is only more cost effective at scale.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10