Author Topic: 112 SIP DECT vs 5624 Wi-Fi Phone - Durability  (Read 1285 times)

Offline irongladiator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
112 SIP DECT vs 5624 Wi-Fi Phone - Durability
« on: April 23, 2019, 05:58:53 PM »
Hello fellow Mitel techs,
Just wanted to get your thought on which phone is more durable?
1) Mitel's 112 SIP DECT
2) Mitel's 5624 Wi-Fi

Cost wise I know there is a big difference, but in terms of durability, what are your thoughts.

Thanks,
-Iron

Online ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 112 SIP DECT vs 5624 Wi-Fi Phone - Durability
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 02:01:28 PM »
I have some experience with 5624's. Never ended up doing a full scale deployment but a few our tech guys carried them around for a few months with your typical running around, bouncing in to desks, sliding through network room activities. Connectivity was decidedly "ok" and they never had to be swapped out because they broke.

Offline JasonTaylor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 05:20:56 AM »
I have installed both.

5624 phones work over the wifi (so need to be using supported WLAN vendor with good wireless coverage).  When set up correctly these work well on both 2.4GHz BG and 5GHz AN spectrums.

112's are DECT to a base (so not wifi). The base will be directly patched to the network and SIP communication from there.  The base does give an impressive DECT coverage for up to 10 112's, however I have needed to add 1 or 2 DECT repeaters at some sites to get the coverage needed to cover the site. 

Both setup in completely different ways.  I would say if they have the WLAN infrastructure use 5624 wireless SIP phones, and if they don't then implement the 112 DECT solution.

Offline celswood

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 03:40:16 AM »
Installed many of these devices over the years.

The 5624 are fantastic because it does not need additional infrastructure, however I have seen roaming issues with Cisco Mearki and any Access Points that are not controlled by a central controller, the handsets tend to hold onto an AP right until it has an extremely weak signal and then drop the connection for a second or two while it re-homes. Not necessarily dropping the call but you will notice choppy audio. Best results have been with Aruba and Rukus WiFi setups. One major downfall and I see this a lot is the programmer you need to configure and charge these phones, they tend to go missing and are quite expensive to replace.

The 112 is easy enough to deploy in SOHO setups and because it uses DECT 6.0 the signal is pretty much uninterruptible and has a great range (up to 40 - 50 feet). You can hang up to 20 DECT handsets of one 112 RFP, up to 3 repeaters and handle 5 simultaneous calls. There is a web interface so remote management is easy. The only downside is for large deployments these take some time to set up, but if you use DHCP option 66 and set up a config template you can auto deploy these devices and make mass changes fairly easily.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10