Author Topic: 5320e phones keep ringing even after caller hangs up  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Enobaham

• View Profile
5320e phones keep ringing even after caller hangs up
« on: April 23, 2019, 02:11:15 PM »
I have 5320e phones on a mitel 5000. I am using mivoice office 250. I am having an issue where the phones continue to ring even after the caller has hung up. The phones never stop ringing until someone answers it only to find a dead call.

I can't find where to fix this/why the phones won't hang up when the caller does. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 5320e phones keep ringing even after caller hangs up
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 02:27:16 PM »
Enobaham,

What type of trunking do you have?

Thanks,

TE

Offline Enobaham

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 02:47:55 PM »
Well, being new to all of this I am doubting myself right now but I am going to say VOIP. It's not SIP.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 02:55:22 PM »
Enobaham,

So do you have a T1/E1/PRI card in your system?

Thanks,

TE

Offline Enobaham

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 03:19:24 PM »
No. Have a LSM-4 card. So analog co lines.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 03:32:12 PM »
Enobaham,

This is the easiest of the trunking types to work on; so that is good.

Have you tested your incoming POTS lines to verify they are providing you with the correct specifications?
Have you performed your Hybrid Balance and Loop Loss Tests?
Do you get a Positive Disconnect when the user hangs up the call?
After the caller hangs up can you get dial tone from the Trunk with your Test Set?

This may not be an issue with the Trunks at all, but you at least need to rule them out.

How are the calls getting to the users? Does this happen if you send the call directly to an extension instead of a CRA, Extension List, or Hunt Group?

Thanks,

TE

Offline Enobaham

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 03:58:48 PM »
I have not done any of the testing listed. The system I am working on right now in on a LAN on my desk.
The user (me on my cell) calls into the number and gets the AA. I then make my selection (2,3 or 5) and it rings that extension. I hang up my cell and it keeps ringing forever on the phone.

I just tried it where I call and get the front desk and the receptionist (again me just picking up the reception phone) transfers to another extension. If I (the caller) hang up on my cell the final extension I was transferred to rings for 5 rings and then transfers back to the front desk and rings there forever.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 04:25:48 PM »
Enobaham,

The MiVO-250 is receiving a Positive Disconnect from the CO Trunk. You can ask your Carrier to turn on Supervision, but most likely they no longer support that.

What you can do is build your own line supervision circuit or go get one of these to provide a long enough open loop when it sees a disconnect.

http://www.sandman.com/loop.html#DSI6A.

Thanks,

TE

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 04:37:48 PM »
Enobaham,

Here is the other one I couldn't remember the part number of.

https://www.vikingelectronics.com/products/cpc-4/

Thanks,

TE

Offline Enobaham

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 04:57:01 PM »
Ok. So it has nothing to do with my configuration in mivoice office 250?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 05:15:52 PM »
Enobaham,

LOL, no there is nothing wrong with the equipment; most likely. The MiVO-250 doesn't have line supervision built-in so there are certain things expected to happen and when they don't then you have to look at outside equipment to help or know how to create it yourself with some basic components.

Since you are a novice telephony technician you don't know how to properly test for and fix this; not your fault. You should have one of the more experienced, possibly older, telephony technicians help you to figure these things out since these skills are not taught very much anymore. It seems as though basic telephony understanding and troubleshooting is slowly leaving this field and it is to the detriment of the new technicians coming into it.

Thanks,

TE

Offline Enobaham

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 05:43:50 PM »
I would agree! lol We are looking into who to partner with (mitel, nec, avaya, digium) for phone solutions. Then look at getting certified with whoever we go with. My boss got a mitel system and wanted us to play around with it to see if we like how it's configured. Not sure if I like it or not. lol. I've been thrown in the deep end and without already being a certified tech, there is little resources available. This business seems very lock and key.
Either way, it is coming together, however slowly. I appreciate your help.
So if I understand this properly, if we were to deploy this somewhere else (business x) then it would probably act differently? Depends on what the other locations carrier settings are? I will continue to look into this line supervision circuit.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 06:46:59 PM »
The problem described is very rare. In fact, the only time I've experienced a CPC issue that I couldn't resolve was when using an OPX between PBXs. Neither system was providing disconnect, and it was hit or miss with a Sandman device.

This clever old phone guy got tired of dealing with the problem and came up with a unique solution: I wired the line through a dual jack at the reception desk, with a jumper between the jacks. If the OPX didn't disconnect, the receptionist would unplug the jumper for a few seconds to release the line. That worked for a couple of years until the phone company went from $30 to $400 monthly for the OPX pair, then they suddenly didn't need it any more.

Long story, but I chuckle when thinking about it.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 07:13:25 PM »
Enohabam,

So, the company you work for is trying to get into the Telecom business; good luck. It used to be that you could go to college and learn everything there was to know about Telephony, but that is not the case anymore. The majority of the information is tied up in old guys like myself and others in older companies that have been around for a minute; like DND ON.

As for deploying the equipment in various locations and using different trunk types the answer is yes and no. The issue you are running into is with an Analog Trunk line which isn't really used anymore by medium to large customers except for 911 services and even that is rare. Even using Analog services going forward will require you to connect to a SIP Gateway that provides the Analog service. This means it will most likely be more controlled since the last mile now becomes the last 3 feet. For the most part you typically won't have any issues with integrating with whatever physical trunking service you go with. The issues you will have will be with SIP trunking and other applications that the customer wants to integrate into their existing services.

As for which equipment you are going to partner with that is up to the owner of the company and what they believe they can sell in your market area and target audience. The top 3 systems in the world now are Avaya, Cisco and Mitel, but that also comes with a hefty price as well. The Digium system is branded Asterisk PBX that has support through the Digium provider, but I don't believe that it can be used as an Enterprise solution. As far as NEC goes it has been around for awhile, but it is not a big player within the US anymore as far as I can tell; maybe it is in Canada.

Thanks,

TE

Offline Enobaham

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 07:46:36 PM »
Ya, we are finding it hard to jump into.

We would prefer not to use NEC. I'm fairly new here at my company and the guys said they used to deal with Nortel, which they loved. Avaya bought them up and now they don't know who to go with.

Mitel seems to be buying everything else up but seems complicated to use and expensive to get certified, so I've heard.

He wants a phone solution for clients coming into our store, but doesn't really want to go out and sell them, which mitel and the others don't like to hear.

I haven't really looked into cisco yet. I was afraid they were designed mainly for huge clients. Hospitals and airports and such. Most of our clients would be SMB.

I really appreciate all of your help today.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10