Author Topic: Simple remote test phone  (Read 1382 times)

Offline rubberbudgie

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Simple remote test phone
« on: April 15, 2019, 12:45:32 PM »
I come from a Cisco background and when configuring a Cisco phone system, in order test call-flow and phone behavior I would install a product called IP Communicator which is effectively a softphone client that allows you to configure it with an extension in whatever site or location you wish and then make calls and check how everything is working. This usually runs over a VPN connection that has access to the phone system.

It makes testing things like call restrictions, caller ID, trunk selection etc much easier than having to either attend site and use a physical phone or asking an end-user to dial a certain number and let me know the result.

Is there anything similar in the Mitel world that's relatively simple to setup? I've tried Micollab/MBG but always end up with a registration rejected message when trying to activate the softphone component so no doubt I've missed one of the seemingly countless steps needed to get it working.

Would a SIP softphone (like 3CX) work if configured as a generic SIP phone?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Simple remote test phone
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 12:56:32 PM »
Mitel phones do not support NAT, so to have a remote phone you either need a Mitel Border Gateway or a VPN connection.

Offline rubberbudgie

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 01:50:53 PM »
Mitel phones do not support NAT, so to have a remote phone you either need a Mitel Border Gateway or a VPN connection.
So through a VPN connection would a SIP softphone using an extension configured as Generic SIP work for basic call testing if pointed directly at the vMCD?

Offline bajangerry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 03:19:26 PM »
This will work once there is no firewall issues blocking ports. I have used SIP softphones many times with VPNs but the Windows firewalls and VPN configurations can cause headaches.

Offline rubberbudgie

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 01:06:42 AM »
I created a multi-ip device and used X-lite and it worked perfectly. So much better than trying to use call-forwards and/or speed-calls to test remote numbers  :D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10