Author Topic: VLAN for Mitel Hosted solution  (Read 1322 times)

Offline rhys.ci.hughes

• View Profile
VLAN for Mitel Hosted solution
« on: April 09, 2019, 11:20:18 AM »
Hello All

Just wanting some advice if possible. We now have a hosted solution and want to plug our PC's into the PC port on my IP Phone. Due to cabling structure we are having to use one HP Procurve Switch port per person.

We are trying to setup a Voice and Data network with Data on VLAN 1 and Voice on VLAN 30. I have created a scope for the data 192.168.1.0 and Voice 192.168.5.0 on my windows DHCP server. I can access devices on each side so the Layer 3 side is working ok.

The issue I have is I cant seem to make the devices pick up the right IP addresses / VLAN. do I need to add some programming to the switch port or the DHCP? Can I use DHCP or will one device need to be static? At the moment the port is untagged for VLAN 30 and I have a trunk port from the switch to the router with VLAN 1 and 30 tagged

Any help on this will be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: VLAN for Mitel Hosted solution
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 03:02:08 PM »
You would need to have LLDP enabled on the Procurve so it recognizes a phone from a PC, then it should be able to route the request to the appropriate VLAN/DHCP server.

That's way too general a statement, as there's a little more to it than just turning it on, there would be some config involved on the switch. However, it sounds to me like LLDP is what you're looking for.

Offline rhys.ci.hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 03:10:31 PM »
You would need to have LLDP enabled on the Procurve so it recognizes a phone from a PC, then it should be able to route the request to the appropriate VLAN/DHCP server.

That's way too general a statement, as there's a little more to it than just turning it on, there would be some config involved on the switch. However, it sounds to me like LLDP is what you're looking for.

Thank you so much, I will look into that. Have you ever dealt with or used hybrid ports before. I assume you would still need LLDP in place? In this scenario as the MiVB is hosted with an OTT connection we only have 1 Windows Server giving out DHCP. Is this a problem?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 04:29:55 PM »

Thank you so much, I will look into that. Have you ever dealt with or used hybrid ports before. I assume you would still need LLDP in place? In this scenario as the MiVB is hosted with an OTT connection we only have 1 Windows Server giving out DHCP. Is this a problem?

No, it isn't a problem... This is a pretty common voice VLAN implementation, and would require building various scopes in your server. I would honestly suggest getting a tech who is familiar with this setup of voice VLAN's, routing, and server configuration to assist you if you are not familiar with it as there are some gotchas that can really make a mess out of things if not done correctly.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 05:32:05 PM »
Might also need an ip helper-address on the switch, but common practice. Just doing an install that is a move from 200icp to 3300 and have both systems on their current voice vlan. I setup a dummy  network on a poe switch so that I could upgrade firmware. Added this to dhcp on their MXe only for this since I didn't want to interrupt current operation. This site also has a MBG and MiVBX, but from looking at the dhcp on the MSL, you can't delete the base network. I did have to add a route on the MXe via command line and the ip helper address for the dummy network, but all worked as I thought it would. I do have several phones to upgrade, but getting in done prior to cut will make this only require pinning the phone when plugged in at the users desk and getting the dchp changed from the 200 to which I choose.

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 08:07:33 PM »

We are trying to setup a Voice and Data network with Data on VLAN 1 and Voice on VLAN 30. I have created a scope for the data 192.168.1.0 and Voice 192.168.5.0 on my windows DHCP server. I can access devices on each side so the Layer 3 side is working ok.

The issue I have is I cant seem to make the devices pick up the right IP addresses / VLAN. do I need to add some programming to the switch port or the DHCP? Can I use DHCP or will one device need to be static? At the moment the port is untagged for VLAN 30 and I have a trunk port from the switch to the router with VLAN 1 and 30 tagged

1. Globally enable LLDP on the switch ("lldp enable") and enter the "VLAN 30 Voice" command.
This enables the switch to use LLDP to tell the phones the VLAN ID of the Voice VLAN.

2. The DHCP scope for the Voice Subnet needs the Mitel option.
That option contains the Controller IP address, Voice VLAN ID and QoS values, eg,
id:ipphone.mitel.com;sw_tftp=10.10.30.150;call_srv=10.10.30.150;vlan=30;l2p=6;dscp=46;
You put this in Option 125 (which you have to do in hex using the special tool) or Option 43 (easier, just copy as String, but this option isn't reserved for Mitel so something else might use it).

3. The router has on each VLAN interface the IP address that is used as "Default Gateway" by devices in that VLAN's IP subnet.

4. The router needs an IP helper on the VLAN interface of each VLAN, pointing at the DHCP server or the DHCP server's subnet, except for the VLAN Interface for the subnet the DHCP server is in itself.

5. Both VLANs need to be trunked to the switch
(as you have done)

6. The Access port on the switch needs to have VLAN30 tagged and VLAN1 untagged.
The phone connects the untagged VLAN to the PC Port.
The phone itself will use VLAN30 *if* LLDP has told it the VLAN ID.

Your question about "hybrid" makes me think you have a non-Procurve HP switch. Either way, "hybrid" is a load of insecure chinese nonsense, don't use it. A port is either
Access: 1 untagged VLAN
or
Trunk: 1 untagged VLAN + 1 or more tagged VLANs

Another couple of (best practice or optional) design principles:
Don't use VLAN1.
Always tag VLANs on non-Access links. If your network devices require an untagged VLAN, use a made-up VLAN that doesn't carry any traffic, eg, VLAN999
Don't put servers in the same broadcast segment as client hosts.
Don't put multiple IP addresses on your switch. I see this all the time. People add a VLAN to their switch and then think they have to put an IP address on it as well. Don't. Ideally the only IP address on your switches is an address in a dedicated "management" VLAN.

Offline rhys.ci.hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 08:11:14 AM »
Does it matter if I can’t use option 125? This is not local so we connect back via MBG’s.

Or can I use part of it?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 09:40:22 AM »
Does it matter if I can’t use option 125? This is not local so we connect back via MBG’s.

Or can I use part of it?

If you are actually talking to the public IP address of the MBG, you can just substitute that address in option 125/43.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10