Author Topic: Can 2 8528 handsets be assigned the same extension?  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Giacomo

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Can 2 8528 handsets be assigned the same extension?
« on: March 14, 2019, 03:04:33 PM »
The system is a Mitel 5000 running version 5.

The user wants these 2 handsets to be in different rooms, but to work identically with the same extension number. I know I could set up a second handset with a new extension but just put a DSS for the original extension on the handset keys.

I am a novice at this, so I ask for your indulgence ahead of time!

Thanks!

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can 2 8528 handsets be assigned the same extension?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 03:37:34 PM »
Giacomo,

There are a few different ways to skin this cat, but you absolutely have to a unique extension for each phone.

Typically, you would setup a Hunt Group and put both phones in an extension list and put that extension list in the Hunt Group.

Then you just give everyone the extension to the Hunt Group to call those extensions.

Don't forget to setup a mailbox for the Hunt Group and then set the Recall for the Hunt Group to be the Voice Mail application. The Recall Timer within the Hunt Group should be set to however many rings they want before sending the call to VM; every 6 seconds is one ring cycle so 4 rings is 24 seconds.

Then set the Hunt Group mailbox to light one of the two phones; unfortunately you can only light one phones Message Indicator unless you have Phone Manager.

Another way is to setup Dynamic Extension if the system has it available.

Thanks,

TE
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:41:50 PM by Tech Electronics »

Offline Giacomo

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 04:22:20 PM »
Thanks, TE!

Great to know that 2 handsets with the same extension is not possible, so I didn't miss that.

The Dynamic Extension path is not available on this system. The Hunt Group route is interesting. I thought of that, but I didn't know the details you've alerted me to.

I'll speak with the customer to see what will work for them. Perhaps just a simple DSS button will work for them, too.

Giacomo

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 07:05:49 AM »
Giacomo,

If a button will work then create it as a Secondary Extension so it will ring the phone.

Thanks,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10