Author Topic: 911 ARS routing to multiple carriers  (Read 1747 times)

Offline JasonTL

• View Profile
911 ARS routing to multiple carriers
« on: February 26, 2019, 02:15:50 PM »
I have searched and cannot find a topic that covers what i am looking for. We are consolidating 7 physical 3300 controllers into 1 virtual controller. The 7 existing controllers covers multiple cities with different local calling as well as different PSAP 911 centers. I was thinking about repurposing their existing MBG's for use with SIP trunking to each carrier. That seems to work correctly building dialed digit mapping pointing to each MBG for each city. My question is the 911 routing. Is their any way to route 911 calls from the same controller to multiple carriers?

For example, extensions 1-10 has a CESID of 5551212 and that needs routed to carrier A. Extensions 11-20 has a CESID of 5552323 and needs routed to carrier B. Is this possible?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: 911 ARS routing to multiple carriers
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 03:31:31 PM »
I have searched and cannot find a topic that covers what i am looking for. We are consolidating 7 physical 3300 controllers into 1 virtual controller. The 7 existing controllers covers multiple cities with different local calling as well as different PSAP 911 centers. I was thinking about repurposing their existing MBG's for use with SIP trunking to each carrier. That seems to work correctly building dialed digit mapping pointing to each MBG for each city. My question is the 911 routing. Is their any way to route 911 calls from the same controller to multiple carriers?

For example, extensions 1-10 has a CESID of 5551212 and that needs routed to carrier A. Extensions 11-20 has a CESID of 5552323 and needs routed to carrier B. Is this possible?
Sure... Standard ARS routing using COR, COR groups, Routes, and Route Lists. An emergency call is just like a normal call, except it uses an route marked as Emergency.

You would make a route list for Emergency Calls using Route A & B, and use COR to limit ext 1-10 to only access Route A and extensions 11-20 to only access Route B, then change your emergency digit dials entry to point to the route list rather than the route itself.

Offline JasonTL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 04:00:05 PM »
Thank you I will give that a try. Adding the COR to these extensions for 911 purposes only affects 911 calling or would it restrict their local calling as well. They have a call center that dials each of the cities locally now. I didn't want to restrict their local calling only 911. Thanks again.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 04:38:28 PM »
Thank you I will give that a try. Adding the COR to these extensions for 911 purposes only affects 911 calling or would it restrict their local calling as well. They have a call center that dials each of the cities locally now. I didn't want to restrict their local calling only 911. Thanks again.
If you don't understand the interaction of COR (assigned to phones) and COR Groups (assigned to routes), you may want to get some assistance with this from a dealer, especially since we are dealing with emergency calling and restricting some phones from certain paths.

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 06:23:37 PM »
In a nutshell,

your ARS Digits Dialled will say:
911 --> Route List 9

Route List 9 will contain Routes 91,92,93,94,95,96,97

Route 91 routes to Carrier A, COR Group 91
Route 92 routes to Carrier B, COR Group 92
etc...

COR Group 91 will allow Site#1 CORs only
COR Group 92 will allow Site#2 CORs only
etc...

Offline JasonTL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 09:03:01 AM »
thank you. That makes sense. I will give it a try.

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 04:18:02 PM »
You will need a second route for each site in that route list in case the first one is down, or a catch all at the end.

I had to do one recently where the service required a prepended prefix on the emergency number to tell them the geographical location - I did what we are discussing and used the Digit Mod on each route to prepend the correct prefix.

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 05:29:12 PM »
I use Location Based Routing for this exact same scenario. Assuming the phones are all IP phones, and each site is using a unique subnet, you can use Location Specification to assign each subnet to a zone. Then in Zone Assignment, assign an LBN prefix and a CESID for that zone. Add 911 as a location based number, and then any call to that number will have the LBN prefix inserted in front of it (much like CEID digits in a clustered environment). Then you can route based on the LBN prefix + location based number, and the CESID is automatically assigned based on the zone membership.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 05:42:42 PM by lundah »

Offline JasonTL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 04:23:07 PM »
I was able to get this going. Thanks for the help, especially @lundah!!! I used @lundah version of how to do this and tested out perfectly.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10