Author Topic: 8528 Digital Phone  (Read 963 times)

Offline bvtech

• View Profile
8528 Digital Phone
« on: February 20, 2019, 09:18:18 AM »
A customer has a MiVoice 250  with 40 digital phones and 90 analog phones.  The digital phones are all 8528's.  The operator has a PKMIM in her phone that is connected to a PKM 48.  Over the last couple of weeks her phone has been randomly getting stuck in a reboot cycle.  The customer tells me that the only way to stop this is to actually unplug the phone and plug it back in.  2 weeks ago the IT guy replaced the phone with one pf their spare phones.  The phone acted fine until yesterday when it  started the reboot cycle again.  They have also been receiving a lot of A101 errors.  This attached picture is one I captured this morning.  It could be a cable issue, it could be the jack, or it could be something with the PKM.  Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

Offline Magpye

• View Profile
Re: 8528 Digital Phone
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 09:30:22 AM »
I've had it where there was a capacitor in the socket causing a similar phone rebooting/locking out scenario.
It had been left in there after converting the phone from analogue.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 09:51:14 AM »
Since the phone has already been replaced, try changing the DEM port... If that fails, I would suspect a wiring issue. I have seen A101 errors be caused by improper jack termination.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 10:49:46 AM »
bvtech,

Basic troubleshooting should be able to figure this out fast enough. The steps I take in situations like this are as follows, and I don't necessary perform them in any particular order; use your judgment.

Look at the base/patch cord to determine if it is damaged in any way.
Reseat the base/patch cord in both the phone and the wall plate.
Verify the pins where the base/patch cord connect are not damaged or misaligned.
Wiremap the cable
Reterminate the jack
Verify the cabling at the IDF/MDF and reterminate if necessary.
Reterminate the cross connect through MDF and IDFs on both ends if it is a digital phone.
-Swap ports to see if the problem follows the phone or the port.
Verify the strap for the PKM is seated properly.
Remove the PKM and see if the problem comes back.
-If it doesn't then the problem is with the PKM.
-If it does then the problem could be with the module or the phone.
--Swap the module out
--Swap the phone out

Trying different combinations of these steps should find the problem within a day if the problem is severe. The basic concept is to put the phone is different known good configurations to determine what the issue is. A lot of times I have seen the cabling be the issue since the heartbeat for the phone is missing or garbled. I have also seen a combination of issues as well so you may fix it so that it doesn't happen as often only to find out that there is another compounding issue; especially if there was electrical damage done.

Thanks,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10