Author Topic: Dropped calls, delayed calling only for a group of phones?  (Read 941 times)

Offline mcastle

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Dropped calls, delayed calling only for a group of phones?
« on: January 04, 2019, 04:09:26 PM »
We have a group of phones in a certain department, where everyday the calls are delayed, have static or drop the calls. We have SIP trunking but our provider points all fingers to our PBX. How do I go about troubleshooting this and why is it the specific group of phones only?! My only possible guess is that around the time this issue started happening was around the time they built a new room below this department. This room is somewhat directly beneath this department and they installed two LED linear highbays. Should I attempt the route of trying to run new cable to this 2ND floor department? I do believe that the homerun cables in the ceiling might not be STP, which is why this issue is happening. Whats your opinion, should I take the physical or technical approach first, considering I don't know how to wireshark the IP phones.

Offline x-man

• View Profile
Re: Dropped calls, delayed calling only for a group of phones?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 07:52:41 AM »
I would run a temporary homerun to the network because it certainly looks like your problem from here....because your other option is wireshark....

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 05:32:37 PM »
First step is an easy one:
Change the switchports patched to those suspect devices to 100Mb instead of auto/1000Mb.
If this makes an appreciable difference, then you definitely have cabling issues.

Check your Voice Quality Statistics form for calls made to/from the relevant devices and you can document the severity of the quality issue.

Inspect the structured cabling and see if it has been properly separated - it should not be laying on any surface (even though cablers do this all the time). If it is, buy some kind of support or conduit for it to raise it up off the ceiling of the floor below. (Needless to say, it should also not be running alongside any other type of cabling or metallic pipes).
If your country has an enforcable code for cabling standards, you can get the cablers to come in and fix their crappy job for free for you.

Offline mcastle

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 12:12:05 PM »
I would run a temporary homerun to the network because it certainly looks like your problem from here....because your other option is wireshark....

Going to attempt to place a POE switch in the department and run a homerun cable, see if that changes anything.

First step is an easy one:
Change the switchports patched to those suspect devices to 100Mb instead of auto/1000Mb.
If this makes an appreciable difference, then you definitely have cabling issues.

Check your Voice Quality Statistics form for calls made to/from the relevant devices and you can document the severity of the quality issue.

Inspect the structured cabling and see if it has been properly separated - it should not be laying on any surface (even though cablers do this all the time). If it is, buy some kind of support or conduit for it to raise it up off the ceiling of the floor below. (Needless to say, it should also not be running alongside any other type of cabling or metallic pipes).
If your country has an enforcable code for cabling standards, you can get the cablers to come in and fix their crappy job for free for you.

switchports should all be 100mb, but will need to double check this
Voice Quality Statistics - I see lots of packet loss, but not sure the root cause?
The cabling does run along the floor of their cubicles but then back into the ceiling of that department

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 05:20:11 PM »
Your switch port error statistics should also give you a bit of a clue as to the problem.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10