Author Topic: Software Assurance worth it?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline andyring

• View Profile
Software Assurance worth it?
« on: December 07, 2018, 04:00:09 PM »
We've had our MiVoice 250 for close to a year. It'll be a year in January or February I believe.

My installer is encouraging me to purchase the Software Assurance package for a year for $300. Is this a good or recommended investment?

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Software Assurance worth it?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 04:18:06 PM »
Mitel won't talk to your dealer regarding your account without it, so it depends on how comfortable you are if something breaks.

Offline andyring

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 11:34:52 PM »
So in other words, Mitel is forcing me to pony up the cash every year whether I need it or not, just in case something were to break?

If I understand it correctly, it would be like Ford saying to me "well, if you ever want us to touch your car again, pay us $ a year after you already bought your car, otherwise we'll just smile and laugh when something breaks."

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 01:20:15 AM »
and.... this is software assurance so if hardware breaks it's not covered.

It allows support from Mitel (to the dealer) and the ability to upgrade your software.

TBH most customers I have don't have SWA as I don't think they see the value in it.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 07:00:07 AM »
It depends on how important phones are to your business. My company currently has 67 HX nodes, all covered by Software Assurance and a maintenance contract from our vendor.

We frequently read posts here from folks complaining about the price of competent service for their phone systems, but they're somehow okay with phones being down for days at a time while they try to Google a solution. They're stepping over dollar bills to pick up nickels.

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 07:30:14 AM »
I agree with a system that size it is important as you will also want assistance from Mitel and want to keep the systems up to date.

With each software update there are normally some added features as well.

The sites I'm talking about that don't take it up are below 10 phones.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 07:38:43 AM »
andyring,

The other thing is that if you get Standard Software Assurance your dealing can only call during Mitel's normal working hours; per Mitel.

If you get Premium Software Assurance they can call 24/7/365; so it sounds as though you are getting Standard Software Assurance.

Also, System Upgrades are not allowed until the account has software assurance so keep that in mind as well. I think if it is an existing account that previously had software assurance you can still download the licenses, but I know for sure if it is a new account you have to it in order to download the initial license.

If you feel your vendor is competent enough to handle the majority if not all of your problems without a great deal of support from Mitel then forgo paying this annual fee. You may want them to download and provide you with a copy of your license though just in case there are issues later on. Of course if you do have problems that your vendor needs support on just be aware they will need to charge you the $300.00 to get support from Mitel.

Thanks,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10