Author Topic: Dialing an ext. number rings to the wrong extension  (Read 2486 times)

Offline wtatx

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Dialing an ext. number rings to the wrong extension
« on: November 28, 2018, 06:58:51 PM »
Hey guys,

I apologize for the sloppy title, I wasn't really sure how to properly title this issue. I have now setup around 6 Mitel 250 systems over the last 3 months and have learned an immense amount of information, especially from these forums.

Okay, so the issue I have been presented with is, about 2 weeks ago I was asked to update our company's IVR. I went through and did all of the proper Digit Translations and which number correlated with which ext. etc. I then verified that these changes worked, had the recording updated and saved and everything was working without issue. Then, the owner of the company decided he wanted to change the IVR recording and all of the digit translation, cool no problem we can do that!

Well, I was busy working on another job last week and our other tech worked on this last week. I have no idea what all he did, the IVR still looks exactly the same and everything seems fine. However, when I dial the main line for this customer and then dial the ext. number (in this case ext. 114) the phone rings to ext. 113 instead of 114. I for the life of me cannot figure out why this is taking place.

ALSO, I need to get the ports opened up in order to get all of the logs etc. from the Mitel 250 Sys. & Diag tool. For some reason it is not functioning (says not connected) and lists that these are the possible problematic reasons:

1. The phone system is resetting
2. IP Address / hostname is incorrect
3. Web listening port is incorrect
4. Web server is disabled.

I was hoping to get this resolved so I could look at the logs and track down why dialing ext. 114 goes to 113 when dialing from the outside in and dialing the ext. number when prompted via IVR recording. Thanks in advance with any help!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Dialing an ext. number rings to the wrong extension
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 07:58:13 PM »
The monitoring is easy, you don't have the proper port forwarding... You need to have 44000/TCP and 443/TCP port forwarded to the 5000's IP address. 443/TCP can be a little tricky in some systems since it is also used for https traffic, so you sometimes you need to change the https port on the phone system (we often use 8443) and change the IP Port setting in MSA&D connection (remember to enable IP ports in Advanced Options).

As far as the IVR goes, a few ways around that... you can manually follow the call from cradle to grave through the programming, a different tech may have made a new CRA and just just made a routing change. You can also check the avdap log and see exactly what the voicemail is doing, and you can watch the active calls in MSA&D in the Active Calls section (just refresh manually often). My first question would be if the receptionist dials 114 manually, what phone rings?

Offline wtatx

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 10:19:51 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply and information! Definitely helpful.

Let me clarify, when I dial from my cell phone their main line number and reach the IVR, I will dial the ext. 114 but for whatever reason ext. 113 rings and not 114. That is the issue I am having to figure out.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 10:28:40 PM »
So in the CO trunk group or main number entry in Call Routing table, it is going a CRA where 1 is "transfer to collected digits" and you enter 114 and it goes to 113? Have you tried it from a land line or called the CRA from an internal phone at the site? Eliminate and test... the answer will become apparent.

Offline wtatx

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 10:30:59 PM »
Ah ha! I figured it out.

So, the CRA has the recording that says "if you know your party's ext. you may dial it at anytime... for sales press 1, for tech support press 2" well.. All of their extensions are in the low 100's. Well, the digit translation at this CRA has the digit translation for ext. 113 for the "1". So my assumption is, when the recording tells you that you can dial your ext. at anytime, people are pressing 114 for ext. 114 but it is just receiving the "1" digit translation that goes to ext. 113!

So now, how do you get the CRA setup to where you can dial an ext. if you know the ext. that starts with 1 (in this case ext. 101 - 118) when the digit translation has the "1" set to transfer to a specific extension?

Offline wtatx

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 10:45:07 PM »
Here is a screenshot of their main CRA https://paste.pics/f9d8a5f71ef218126f1e27e90819196a

I have a feeling we did the CRA wrong here.. but as you will see the digit translation number "1" is tied to ext. 113, where as right at that specific menu, the recording says that you may dial your ext. at anytime, well everyone's ext. is in the 100's but I have a feeling the second someone enters the first "1" in ext. "114" and is disregarding the extension number and just transferring to ext. 113.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 08:50:25 AM »
You can't have a press 1 option and be able to dial extensions beginning with 1. Press 1 needs to be Transfer to Collected Extension, and press options begin with 2.

Looking at your screen shot, you have a lot of options for the callers to listen to. My rule is no more than four or five options, then nest sub-menus if more are needed.

Something like: For Sales, press 2; for Service, press 3. Those options lead to menus such as: For Desktops, press 1; for Laptops, press 2; for Printers, press 3. Or whatever is appropriate for your particular business, and makes sense to callers.

Offline wtatx

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 10:19:15 AM »
You were correct, when trying to dial the ext. 114 it picks up on the "1" of the digit translation and is therefore going to ext. 113.

Is there any way to get around this without deleting this CRA menu? Everything is setup pretty much perfectly for them but they would like to be able to dial an ext. # without having to go through the digit translation. That way for their customers that knows whose ext. is what they can call the main line and then type in their ext. # and get to them?

Offline lowradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 10:45:36 AM »
Change 1 to "gathered digits"
Change the previous 1 destination to another single digit that doesn't conflict with your extensions numbers

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 05:50:31 PM »
Yes, like lowradiation stated... You need to change 1 to "Gathered Digits"... A single digit cannot route to an extension AND be able to dial an extension. If 1 is defined as Transfer to Extension 113, you cannot dial any extension that begins with a 1. This is how Call Routing Applications work in this system.

Offline wtatx

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 07:02:39 PM »
Hmm.. I will need to research on the 'gather extensions'. I am most likely looking in the wrong place, the only other extension related option I am seeing in the CRA is "transfer to collect extension"

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 08:12:37 PM »
Refer to Reply #6 above.

Offline lowradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 10:37:49 AM »
Sorry... put in a combo of Nupoint and 250 VM terminology
Meant "transfer to collect extension"

Offline wtatx

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 12:14:53 PM »
I was able to get the issue resolved. I had them redo their recordings for each menu and properly applied the "transfer to collected extensions". Everything in the CRA is working as intended.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10