Author Topic: Upgrade CXi II with VLANs  (Read 1126 times)

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Upgrade CXi II with VLANs
« on: October 12, 2018, 09:26:16 AM »
I have a site with MCD6 on a CXi II controller I need to upgrade to the 8.0 but the last time I tried it failed the upgrade but recovered fully.

I realized after the fact that for 6.0 I must do a Full Install upgrade and not just an Upgrade in the software installer, at least according to the help file:

A full install is required on controllers with Release 7.x or earlier software.

But I have never done an upgrade where multiple VLANs are being handled by the CXi. The data VLAN is 10 and voice VLAN is 6, and I have a PC setup on the voice VLAN. Could this cause an issue with connectivity when the controller reboots, or will it just "know" it needs to use VLAN 6 for the upgrade?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 10:28:41 PM by acejavelin »

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade CXi II with VLANs
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 04:29:25 PM »
Are you saying the controller port is set as tagged?

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 08:38:31 PM »
I'm sure I have upgraded an MXe from MCD 6.0 direct to MCD 8.0.

Are you sure the help files are not referring to Release 7 not MCD 7.0?

I'm sure you can upgrade from MCD 4.0(GDM Mode) to MCD 8.0 no problem, anything before needs to be upgrade to MCD 4.0 first and converted to GDM mode.

I'm wondering if it failed for another reason.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 10:32:31 PM »
Are you saying the controller port is set as tagged?
Yes, both the voice and data VLAN's are tagged on the controller and switch port, there is no "native" untagged VLAN.

I'm sure I have upgraded an MXe from MCD 6.0 direct to MCD 8.0.

Are you sure the help files are not referring to Release 7 not MCD 7.0?

I'm sure you can upgrade from MCD 4.0(GDM Mode) to MCD 8.0 no problem, anything before needs to be upgrade to MCD 4.0 first and converted to GDM mode.

I'm wondering if it failed for another reason.
That copy and pastte was direct from the hold of the Software Installer. I have upgraded lots of servers from 4.X to 7 and 8 without issue, but in the Installer tool there are two options, either Online/Offline Upgrade or Full Install, both of which do an upgrade in the end.

My concern is the VLAN's are messing things up, yet when I tried to upgrade before and it failed, it software installer recovered it from failure (although it took like 2 hours). I am just wondering if my issue is the VLANs or the install method.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 02:29:53 PM »
I might have a concern, the upgrade/full install will from what I gather, do a reboot with the Boot_Install. Not sure if this survives the tagging. You might have to do a vlan_off and change the upgrader pc to be on the cx network

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 10:20:49 PM »
I might have a concern, the upgrade/full install will from what I gather, do a reboot with the Boot_Install. Not sure if this survives the tagging. You might have to do a vlan_off and change the upgrader pc to be on the cx network
Yeah, that might be a problem... Might be easier to get a second hard drive and spin it up on the test bench in a CXi II and do an install, then take the drive out and swap it and do a restore.

I have a few of these to do, might have to get the onsite IT person to meet me for an evening and give it a shot.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10