Author Topic: User voicemail set up but does not answer calls.  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Arpo

• View Profile
User voicemail set up but does not answer calls.
« on: October 11, 2018, 10:48:55 AM »
Mitel 3300.

One user reported that his voicemail was not responding when someone rings his extension when he is not in the office.

The voicemail setup in his user and device configuration looked AOK.  The voicemail account was recreated, still the same.  Next his entire user and device record was deleted and re-added (using the same extension number) including voicemail.

The phone works normally in every other respect. The user can access his voicemail from the handset, set up personal greetings etc but when anyone rings his phone, it never goes to voicemail.

The extension has been working for years without a problem.

Any advice appreciated.

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: User voicemail set up but does not answer calls.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 01:28:57 PM »
When you re-created the extension did you set Call Rerouting First Alternative back to voicemail?

Is he using integrated VM or NuPoint?

Offline Arpo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 08:11:17 AM »
You solved the problem, really appreciate that.

I have to look after many systems and applications, without training on any of them.

I set the first alternative to be the same as a user who's voicemail was working.

You said, have you set the first alternative to voicemail, implying that a certain setting is specifically for voicemail.   I've now read a Mitel doc that describes basally what first alternative routing is.  Where in the system does it specify that a certain routing will enable voicemail?

Thanks again, saved me a lot of time and effort.   

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 11:27:41 AM »
That's a little strange because that setting shouldn't just change on its own. Why it happened the first time is still somewhat of a mystery.

However, when you deleted and re-created the extension it would have deleted the rerouting. I have had this happen to me when changing a user from an analog to IP set or for various other reasons when I create an extension.

There's a lot that goes in to how rerouting applies to voicemail including the Call Forward No Answer timer in the extension's Class of Service and how you have voicemail set up. At the most basic level You have a call to an extension > ring for 20 sec (usually the basic value for CFNA timer in the COS) > Call Reroute First Alternative (the DN of Voicemail Hunt Group).

Offline Dogbreath

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 08:40:31 AM »
You said, have you set the first alternative to voicemail, implying that a certain setting is specifically for voicemail.   I've now read a Mitel doc that describes basally what first alternative routing is.  Where in the system does it specify that a certain routing will enable voicemail?

The number in that column is a reference to an entry on the Call Rerouting First Alternatives form. If your voicemail number is 5555 and Call Rerouting First Alternatives #2 has a Directory Number of 5555, then you would set the first alt on an extension to '2' to send their calls to voicemail on busy/no answer.

It wouldn't kill Mitel to have these things hyperlinked together in the web interface. It would massively ease the learning process [cf Mitel 5000].

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10